Looking to buy a telescope for under $200

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>any suggestions? <br />Posted by OutOfTheBox73</DIV></p><p>Welcome to Space.com!<br /><br />Mine would be either buy a good pair of binoculars, or save until you can afford at least $300-350.</p><p>Any telescope in that price range is liekely to be worthless.</p><p>That's just by opinion, wait for a few others to speak up.</p><p>Wayne</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

O

OutOfTheBox73

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Welcome to Space.com!Mine would be either buy a good pair of binoculars, or save until you can afford at least $300-350.Any telescope in that price range is liekely to be worthless.That's just by opinion, wait for a few others to speak up.Wayne <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Thanks.....if you were forced to buy one at that price would the Orion Starblast 4.5 be worth it?</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks.....if you were forced to buy one at that price would the Orion Starblast 4.5 be worth it? <br />Posted by OutOfTheBox73</DIV><br /><br />I'm not qualified to answer that, wait until some of the more telescopic people chime in. I'm a meteor guy by passion, so I don't use one, though I own 2, and have access to one of the largest in New Jersey.</p><p>Don't be in a rush. Wait until you get some other responses.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

tfwthom

<span><p>Budget Scopes&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>Question that is sometimes asked "How little can I spend" I don't always agree with S&T on their reviews but these work. I've tried some of them. <br /><br />From S&T's Skywatch 06 <br /><br />5 Scopes for under $200 <br /><br /><br />1) Orion SpaceProbe 3 Altazimuth Reflector: $99 <br /><br />The lowest-priced telescope to make the grade. A good performer for stargazers on a very tight budget. <br /><br />Upside: Complete instrument for less then $100. <br /><br />Downside: Mount less sturdy then ideal. <br /><br /><br />2) Orion Observer 70: $129 <br /><br />Provides right-side-up images, which makes it the best choice for those looking for an instrument to do double duty as a daytime telescope. <br /><br />Upside: Crisp images in a low-maintenance optical system. <br /><br />Downside: Some chromatic aberration (false color) visible at high magnification. <br /><br /><br />3) Orion StarBlast: $169 <br /><br />A rugged, easy-to-use instrument that is a near-perfect all-around performer. <strong><em>(I have used this scope (on a table) at the GCSP, with eyepieces that cost more then the scope, it was impressive) <br /></em></strong><br />Upside: Nicely built scope with a stable, smooth-moving mount. <br /><br />Downside: Low mount means it must be used on a sturdy table. <br /><br /><br />4) Scientifics Astroscan: $199 <br /><br />A kid-friendly low-maintenance reflector that produces bright wide-field views. <strong><em>(I like it, it's a fun scope, easy to use. We call them "imp in a bottle scopes" after the old magic trick. It can be mounted on a sturdy photo tripod)</em></strong> <br /><br />Upside: Optics are factory aligned. <br /><br />Downside: Difficult to focus and keep aimed at high magnifications. <br /><br /><br />5) Orion SkyQuest XT4.5 Dobsonion: $199 <br /><br />The best high-magnification telescope of the bunch. An excellent choice for those especially interested in viewing the Moon and planets. <strong><em>(I've used the bigger 8" and 10" Orions and don't usually tell anyone to get a smaller dob then 8" but this does work) </em></strong><br /><br />Upside: Good optics, sturdy mount. <br /><br />Downside: Low mount results in some awkward eyepiece positions. </p></span> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.