Lost

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doublehelix

Thanks for posting those, abq. I assume the two kids are Jacob/MIB, and the pregnant lady is perhaps MIB's mom, though I didn't get the impression that she is crazy. We'll see, though. Hard to believe we are so close to the finale! 2 eps then a 2 part finale, I believe. Here is what I wrote elsewhere - SPOILERS possible.

I found the episode to be depressing, but it seems like an important episode to me - it's certainly clearer who has a better chance be the next Jacob or whatever. I was so sad to see the outcome of Jin/Sun - I guess "Kwon" scratched on the cave wall meant Jin, as I expect he'll make it back to the Island. But why was Kate "spared"? WTF? She's not a candidate. She should have been the one pinned behind a large metal object and within pipes. Grrrrr...!

I don't think FLocke will be able to kill Desmond.

I agree the Claire is still creepy.

Too bad about Sayid, but perhaps it is redemption. He did sacrifice himself.

I'm very curious to see how the Island and the sideways timelines interact.

And where the hell is Richard?

Still bummed about Sun and Jin,
-dh

A

abq_farside

doublehelix":118hduc6 said:
I found the episode to be depressing, but it seems like an important episode to me - it's certainly clearer who has a better chance be the next Jacob or whatever. I was so sad to see the outcome of Jin/Sun - I guess "Kwon" scratched on the cave wall meant Jin, as I expect he'll make it back to the Island. But why was Kate "spared"? WTF? She's not a candidate. She should have been the one pinned behind a large metal object and within pipes. Grrrrr...!

I don't think FLocke will be able to kill Desmond.

I agree the Claire is still creepy.

Too bad about Sayid, but perhaps it is redemption. He did sacrifice himself.

I'm very curious to see how the Island and the sideways timelines interact.

And where the hell is Richard?

Still bummed about Sun and Jin,
-dh

Yes sad to see Sun and Jin go. Jin is dead (Dead is Dead) on the island but we will probably see both back in the FS.

I liked the Sayid redemption and have always liked that character - he started turning away from the darkside with Desmond's help. Too bad to see him go too. And in Frank's case, the island may not be done with him yet.

Apparently we get to find out about the Adam and Eve characters from the cave as they are revealed tonight.

I am guessing that Richard, Ben and Miles show up next week.

BTW - the finale has extended to 2 1/2 hours. With an 2 hour preview show. The finale is Sunday May 23rd if you did not know.

D

doublehelix

abq_farside":6n7uzfb1 said:
Apparently we get to find out about the Adam and Eve characters from the cave as they are revealed tonight.

Yep, interesting to see who Adam and Eve are - it didn't occur to me that they could be who they are.

Loved the extended backstory about Jacob and MIB/Esau.

I am very excited about multiple hours of LOST on 5/23, but will be sorry to see the show go.

-dh

A

abq_farside

doublehelix":1boygc49 said:
Yep, interesting to see who Adam and Eve are - it didn't occur to me that they could be who they are.

Loved the extended backstory about Jacob and MIB/Esau.

I am very excited about multiple hours of LOST on 5/23, but will be sorry to see the show go.

-dh

I really liked Across the Sea but it has gotten pretty mixed reviews from posts I have seen. What I am finding is that many viewers are either unhappy with the lack of answers or don't like the answers given to them.
For me I am happy with the answers so far and hope that not everything is tied up in a perfect bow. For a show that has given us: Every question I answer will simply lead to another question, I find it amazing that people are expecting more.
As I have said, it is a sci-fi show dealing with mythology, religion, science, time-travel, smoke monsters, vanishing islands, immortality, voice whispers, etc etc etc., why on earth would anyone expect some type of logical answer to anything. :)

F

FlatEarth

I, too, will miss Lost, but like Battlestar, I think it's time to come to a conclusion.

The Adam and Eve episode was good, except I was expecting Smoke to be pure evil rather than a conflicted and originally innocent kid. Nothing's black and white anymore, is it?

V

vogon13

Jacob/MIB's mother was able to enact rules. Did Jacob get to also ?

And if so, how about Jack ?

And if Jack gets to make a 'rule' how about a rule that says the Smoke Monster/MIB can't kill people any more ?

V

vogon13

:cry:

Oh, they all died in the plane crash in the pilot episode.

Hmmmm.

M

Mee_n_Mac

vogon13":1zt8iivu said:

Hmmmm.

That wasn't my take on it. They did live on the Island. Some died there, some escaped and returned and escaped again (Sawyer, Kate, etc) . The alternate timeline of this season was make believe. It's what happens after you die but before you "move on". Recall that Ben didn't leave this "waiting room" but did tell Hurley he made a good #1 which Hurley responded to by saying Ben made a good #2 (I presume references to life on the Island as they were the new "Jacob" + Ben after Jack dies). But they all end up at "the church" after they die because somehow the Universe tied them altogether and when you die you get to spend the true afterlife with those who where important in your "real" life.

I think.

Mebbe.

I could be wrong.

V

vogon13

Among other things, I was hoping for more background on Smokie.

With this ending, it is just a special effect. Like, why did the sonic fence work to contain it? How did the Dharma Initiative work out the fence? What makes a sonic fence work on the physical embodiment of EVIL ? Why doesn't Smokie fly over the fence? Or over the ocean, for that matter? Why can't Smokie pop out of the ground on the other side of the fence?

It seemed contrived that Ben now says he was doing Smokie's bidding when ever he summoned it, instead of vice versa, yet supposedly, Ben was under Jacob's influence the whole time.

I realize the show is now retconned as a character driven study in human attitudes toward death, but so much 'kewl' sci-fi stuff is now just left hanging.

There was a human skeleton in 'The Well of Souls' (or whatever it was), what is the story there? Someone Smokie brought home to munch on? Or is it Ponce de Leon?

And the pregnancy complications on the island are now forever unexplained.

How does Jacob travel around the world after being forbidden to do so?

Was Jacob's 'adoptive' mother someone from human history we have records of?

Who built the statue? Yeah, I know, Egyptians, but was it Nephritus III or Sut XXI ?

How did the US Government discover the island, and how did they manage to loose track of the Jughead nuclear device?

How did the Dharma bear collar get to Tunisia?

How can the Valenzetti Equation determine where the island is if Ben could move the island with the wheel? And what did Dharma need with a Foucalt pendulum? What it does is just define a plane in space, something you could work out with GPS, hell, a map and a compass.

How did Jacob/MIB stepmom inflict her wrath? Could she assume the form of the smoke monster? Or did it exist prior to MIB being 'flushed' by Jacob, and she could wield it against visitors?

How did stepmom impose rules?

See, none of this matters now. Kind of a pisser.

A

abq_farside

Mee_n_Mac":3p3o6odp said:
That wasn't my take on it. They did live on the Island. Some died there, some escaped and returned and escaped again (Sawyer, Kate, etc) . The alternate timeline of this season was make believe. It's what happens after you die but before you "move on". Recall that Ben didn't leave this "waiting room" but did tell Hurley he made a good #1 which Hurley responded to by saying Ben made a good #2 (I presume references to life on the Island as they were the new "Jacob" + Ben after Jack dies). But they all end up at "the church" after they die because somehow the Universe tied them altogether and when you die you get to spend the true afterlife with those who where important in your "real" life.

That was my take too. You get to see everybody that was important to you during your most important period of your life. The ALT world had no timeline and you see everybody as they were when you were with them Then you can move on to whatever.
When Jin and Sun had the ultrasound had their awakening, that is about the time I figured out what the ALT world was (mostly).

I enjoyed the finale and it was enough of a conclusion that I needed.

P

phaze

Mee_n_Mac":1kipg82x said:

I think.

Mebbe.

I could be wrong.

That is what I took from it, as well.

I know the age 35-55 facebook mom crowd was happy to see the ghost couples all reunited in the finale. I actually chuckled my way through most of the finale - thought it was really bad - almost like a LOST parody.

For me this series took a sharp downhill turn almost immediately after season 2.

F

FlatEarth

Mee_n_Mac":2oc3zzql said:
vogon13":2oc3zzql said:

Hmmmm.

I think.

Mebbe.

I could be wrong.
No, you got it right. Now about JAL 1628, not so much. ;)

D

doublehelix

I absolutely loved it and thought it was a beautiful end to the series. I loved that they didn't answer all the questions with definitive answers, giving each of us the opportunity to come up with ones that work, personally. The spiritual element had a profound impact on me, and conclusions I made about the island and life via this show have really affected me. I'm going to keep most of these conclusions to myself, though, until I'm ready to discuss them with friends.

I will say, though, that the awakening reunions were deeply satisfying for me on an emotional level. I loved how the actors portrayed the awakenings with each other - the romantic in me was really, really happy. My favorite was probably Juliet and Sawyer.

I also found the "at peace" vibe emanating from Kate to be really special. I thought Evangeline Lilly did a tremendous job there at the end.

Vincent lying down next to Jack in his final moments was also deeply moving for me.

And the exchange between Ben and Locke was wonderful. I'm curious to know what Ben needs to take care of before he can move on - perhaps he does need to connect to those who were with him during the most important time of his life. I'm happy that he was "Number 2" to Hurley, and that Hurley was ok enough to ask for help like that. I loved that Ben said that the rule about not leaving the island was a Jacob thing and now that Hurley is in charge, he (or the island) doesn't have to be bound by that rule. Hurley can make changes now that he's the protector, to what is appropriate at that time.

I hope this episode is nominated for an Emmy and that it wins.

-dh

N

neomaine

I can try a couple...
vogon13":29mhrxvm said:
How did the US Government discover the island, and how did they manage to loose track of the Jughead nuclear device?
I'm guessing orginally they saw the strange EM from some sort of EM sensitive satellite image. Then, created the Dharma Initiative to study/harness it power. Lost track? The Government? Come on... Now THAT'S fantasy...

How did the Dharma bear collar get to Tunisia?
Same way Ben did. Turning the wheel. Only it died shortly thereafter in the extreme heat. The cave the wheel was in was freezing and needed something/someone strong to turn and a polar beer fit the bill. (Don't ask me how Ben fills that description either. A moment of super strength?)

How can the Valenzetti Equation determine where the island is if Ben could move the island with the wheel? And what did Dharma need with a Foucalt pendulum? What it does is just define a plane in space, something you could work out with GPS, hell, a map and a compass.
I going with this is leftover tech from when everything started. With failure, the Dharma project was deemed a dead-end and no new sensor equipment was created. All they had was some pendulum that was sensitive to the EM of the island and a bank of 70’s era computers that could translate the fluctuations of the pendulum. Agreed, today’s tech could have solved a lot of the tech problems in regards to the show.

See, none of this matters now. Kind of a pisser.
It still matters if you’re still asking questions!! Truly though, I’ll dearly miss the show.

D

docm

I got /lost/ halfway through season and found better things to do.

D

doublehelix

This made me smile:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1qVkuT7cg8[/youtube]

A

abq_farside

doublehelix":1iojimzp said:
This made me smile:

Take a look at these two

Lost re-enacted by cats in 1 minute
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DShnvNNv0[/youtube]

Unanswered Lost Questions