Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

coeptus

So, could the island be Thule, Atlantis, Shangri la, Quivera, El Dorado, etc. ??

All the 'mythical' places ever reported, rolled into one 'meta' myth ??

T

thebigcat

There's another thread on Lost around here somewhere.

Why do you ask "Could..."? Of course it could. The writers can do anything they want to and if they want to make the island some meta-myth then they will. ;)

I have a better question. How come someone, Locke for instance since he's one who has been so enraptured with the island ever since the crash (not that I blame him, after all, it did make him walk again) hasn't directly asked Ben about the island's origin?

E

eosophobiac

'LOST' is my favorite show!!!!! :D (as if anybody cares..... But I was trying to click on "Free Space" and the page 'rolled' a bit and I ended up here. Then I saw the title of this thread and just HAD to click!)

I am glad LOST will be back on tomorrow night - I went through minor withdrawl last week. Although the 'enhanced' episode replay was pretty good!

So yes, I'll proudly stand up and be counted as a LOST fan! :lol:

T

thebigcat

Well, thank what ever forces there be that control the 'verse that we are through that for another year.

Season 5 was an absolute brain melter. Robert Heinlein was recomended reading for anyone attempting to understand the Single Timeline Theory of the Lost Universe, particularly those people who are accustomed to time travel paradoxes like the Grandfather Paradox. All You Zombies... would be a good story if you really want to get the concept straight.

V

vogon13

Just finished my DVRd season conclusion of Lost.

The island is the garden of Eden.

I think the weird statue is Marduk or some such. Eden explains why some folks are so content there, and others strive and wrestle with good and evil.

Great show.

P

phaze

I hung in there through the first 2 excellent seasons... a really bad season 3... a more action-oriented season 4... but early on in season 5 I stopped watching.

V

vogon13

The plotting idea of using the Garden of Eden is quite clever. Everyone is aware of it, and there is very little hard copy on it other than a few Bible versus, and some concordance in other cultural legends. This gives the writers a very free hand in plotting the series, and allows for pretty much whatever they want to happen to happen.

T

thebigcat

The statue is actually the Egyptian hippopotamus diety Tawaret. Mostly, we think. There are some differences whice we can't decide whether they are Darleton taking liberties with the mythology or reflective of differences in the beliefs of the statue builders themselves from orthodox Egyptian belief.

But equating the island with the garden of Eden is an excellent thesis, Vogon. And good points.

phaze, sorry to hear that S5 lost you, especially after you hung in through the mess that was S3. To be honest, if I weren't a fansite moderator I probably would have stopped watching with S3. To give an idea of how frustrated I was getting with the show at that point...I decided to vent my frustrations at Darlton & Co in a creative fashion on the board.

I don't know if you ever watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but there was this story arc in which this Demon named Glorficus was trying to get back into her realm. There was a key to the realm which some uberpowerful monks possessed and they figured that the safest placed to hide the key was with the Slayer. They wanted the Slayer to protect the key, but not know what they key was so they turned they key into a girl and altered everyone's memories so that they believed that they girl was Buffy's sister Dawn.

Well, that's what I felt that Darlton were doing to us with Nikki and Paolo. We were just supposed to alter our memories and accept that they had been there the whole time. The scene were Kate and Sawyer arrive back at the beach and this gal, Nikki, who we have never seen before walks right up and starts talking to her was very reminiscent of the scene from BtVS where Buffy arrives home after killing some vampire or other and on her way to her room she bumps into a strange girl, but before she can ask who that girl is she hears he mom say "Why don't you take your sister to the store?".

My reaction to this was to start a thread in our board's General Discussion area entitled "Remember when Nikki And Paolo...?"

I started it with this little post:

"Just thought I would start a thread for reminiscences about Nikki and Paulo and their earlier activities on Lostie Beach. For instance, remember when Sun started wailing on Michael over that watch. I thought that Nikki was going to start crying right there. Or when she was sunbathing with Shannon. They both looked really cute :)

Or when Paulo was helping Boone find pens for Jack in the Pilot Ep? Priceless."

I was hoping that the sarcastic intent wouldn't be lost. I shouldn't have worried. It turned into one of the most popular threads over the next few months, and people still find excuses to post there. Just recently someone posted "Remember when Nikki was supervising the building of the statue and Paolo was supposed to work on the support beams but decided to take a bathroom break and forgot to set them up. Boy was Jacob mad at them when the statue fell. "

F

FlatEarth

Warning, spoiler!!

So who saw the start of the final season? I liked the alternate timeline, where we get to see how their lives play out if the plane never crashes. I'm hoping it continues all the way to the end. :)

M

marcel_leonard

FlatEarth":120esgki said:
Warning, spoiler!!

So who saw the start of the final season? I liked the alternate timeline, where we get to see how their lives play out if the plane never crashes. I'm hoping it continues all the way to the end. :)

I saw the first 3 episodes on Hulu and I have to say this seasons is lacking something.....My guess JJ Abrams didn't put his ankles into this season, since he is enjoying so much commercial success w/ Tom Cruise (MIIV) and The New Star Trek series. He just has his hands full trying to become the new Steven Spielberg :roll:

F

FlatEarth

marcel_leonard":2bjwfjal said:
I saw the first 3 episodes on Hulu and I have to say this seasons is lacking something.....My guess JJ Abrams didn't put his ankles into this season, since he is enjoying so much commercial success w/ Tom Cruise (MIIV) and The New Star Trek series. He just has his hands full trying to become the new Steven Spielberg :roll:
I think you're right. The action/fighting scenes are definitely not convincing, but there were a couple of well acted and scripted scenes in there as well.

M

marcel_leonard

FlatEarth":3ra1ewje said:
marcel_leonard":3ra1ewje said:
I think you're right. The action/fighting scenes are definitely not convincing, but there were a couple of well acted and scripted scenes in there as well.

I would hope that if he's going to tackle other projects like MIIV, and Star Trek II that we would pass the button to some capable hands. At the very least take a hiatus form other projects and really have JJ Abrams put his ankles into for this last finale of Lost...

Here are few ideas:

1.) Make Jacob turn out to be ultimate agent for good Micheal the Arch-angle...
2.) Make Black Smoke Monster turn out to be ultimate agent for evil Lucifer...
3.) The island turn out to ultimate symbol of being lost Purgatory...
4.) In the end all the characters of LOST turn out to be have actually died in the crash are all just ghost that haven't found peace...

Anyway this my prediction for were the writers will wind up the final season; mostly because they've milked all the twists/turns they could get out of LOST for the past 6 years, and have probably ran out of ideas...

D

doublehelix

vogon13":2s8wudnl said:
Claire's baby grows up to become Jacob . . .

That is a popular theory, and one I like.

So, who is watching and how are you liking the season so far?

-dh

B

bushwhacker

Well I hsve to admit I've never seen the show.
Is there anywhere on line that I can watch past episodes?

F

FlatEarth

bushwhacker":1sjv9xsz said:
Well I hsve to admit I've never seen the show.
Is there anywhere on line that I can watch past episodes?
Hulu has Seasons 1-5 online.

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=lost+season+1

doublehelix":1sjv9xsz said:
vogon13":1sjv9xsz said:

-dh
I've watched the show from the beginning, and I'm glad it's finally concluding. I like the dual time line that's in play now, so it'll be interesting to see how that is resolved at the end. I stopped trying to figure out what's going to happen because it seems nothing is out of bounds for the writers. There's an upside and downside to that, IMO. :)

D

doublehelix

I agree that nothing is out of bounds for the writers. On a related note - sucks to be a LOST fan and a Time Warner cable subscriber in NYC - on the radio this morning I heard that TWC is going to flip the switch on Channel 7 this Sunday (just in time for the Oscars, too), which means LOST is... well... lost. UNLESS they can come to an agreement before Sunday. Thank goodness for Hulu.

-dh

A

abq_farside

doublehelix":2mx8xpqn said:
vogon13":2mx8xpqn said:

-dh

Watch every Tuesday at 7. I like the review of the previous episodes with the pop-ups. They always provide a bit of info from something I may have forgotten.

I am enjoying the final season.

Quick thoughts

Claire is a overdone
Jacob or MiB - who is worse, or are they one and the same. The show always like balance and the Jacob/MiB could be just showing how people have to struggle with good and evil within themselves. And I am not totally convinced that Jacob represents the light and MiB represents the darkness, though after the past week, it is quite clear that the MiB will do what he feels is necessary.
Alt Timeline - interesting to show how their lives still intersect even though the plan did not crash. I think the producers said they wanted to show that there are unintended consequences (plane not crashing, changed some of the lives quite dramatically).
Sayid - say it ain't so - always liked his character.
Saywer - maybe conning the MiB?

D

doublehelix

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

This last episode was awesome because of the Desmond storyline and seeing his role in the greater picture. Loved his exchange with Eloise, and her seemingly awareness of multiple timelines. Great to see Daniel Faraday, too, now a musician and not a physicist (as he seemed to want to be as a child). And Penny! A very satisfying episode.

A

abq_farside

doublehelix":1g2lm565 said:
POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!
This last episode was awesome because of the Desmond storyline and seeing his role in the greater picture. Loved his exchange with Eloise, and her seemingly awareness of multiple timelines. Great to see Daniel Faraday, too, now a musician and not a physicist (as he seemed to want to be as a child). And Penny! A very satisfying episode.

Desmond is the constant between the two timelines. It seems that Eloise probably wants to keep the ALT world since Daniel is alive. Look for more overlap in the coming episodes between the island world and the ALT world.

This week - Everybody Loves Hugo
5 more episode until the finale!

D

doublehelix

abq_farside":2p081njg said:

I'm really bummed this show is going to end this year. I am loving this current season. Very happy to have a Hugo-centric episode this week, too. I look forward to seeing more overlap between the timelines.

-dh

D

doublehelix

abq_farside":4ufl6h8g said:
doublehelix":4ufl6h8g said:

Here is what I posted elsewhere: BEWARE TEH SPOILERZ!!!

Is Desmond calmly aware of both timelines now? Did he kill Locke in the alt to bring him close to death so that Locke can see visions of the other timeline? Or, did he kill him because he knows in the alt timeline Lock throws him down the well, and this is revenge? Or does he kill him to prevent MIB from ever invading his body? Or did he kill FLocke because Widmore told him to? These four possibilities seem plausible to me.

Is Jack the candidate to take Jacob's place? FLocke and Jack had quite the look between them at the end of the episode. Interesting that soon after Jack talked about "letting go", FLocke gave him that crazy look. Would be funny if Jack was Locke's constant.

OR... is Desmond going to take over Jacob's place?

Looks like either love or death can bring back visions of the island. Does Jacob represent love and MIB represent death or vice versa?

Bummer about Illana and her death. I guess she temporarily forgot she had a bag of dynamite? Interesting that right after she called FLocke "evil", she died.

Didn't like that FLocke pushed Desmond down the well, but my guess is that it doesn't kill Desmond. I also wonder what's at the bottom.

Nice to see Michael and hear from him what the voices mean.

At one point, I wondered when the Black Rock was blown up, would that effect Richard's immortality?

A

abq_farside

Did not notice any spoilers in your post and do not think that previews or theories of next weeks show is a spoiler, just an enticer. :) But quit reading if you do.

ALT-Locke appears to be alive still (at least for the next episode). I would agree that love or near death can bring back visions of the island. Now that ALT-Locke is hurt, I wonder what that means to the Losties on the island.

Desmond is still alive too but Sayid is taking aim at him down in the well. It seem clear that Desmond knows about both timelines. And I am pretty sure that he knows that Flocke is not Locke though he did not say it. And it appeared that Flocke was afraid of Desmond because Desmond was not afraid of him. He knows that Desmond can screw up his desire to get off the island.

I liked Illana, too bad she bought it. Wonder if she will show up talking to Hugo?
Not surprised about the whispers. I think many thought they were dead people. Makes me wonder if they can't get off the island like the MiB? And does Jacob keep them there for the same reason as keeping MiB there?

My feeling is that Jack will be the Jacob replacement. Yes the look from FLocke was one of "WTF are you doing here and you seem different now". Maybe he knows that Jacob got to him and Jack has changed. No longer being the Man of Science.

Next weeks episode: The Last Recruit and I am really looking forward to the MiB/Jacob centric episode. That should help us understand how they got there and why!

A

abq_farside

doublehelix":2vvjca81 said:
abq_farside":2vvjca81 said:

I'm really bummed this show is going to end this year. I am loving this current season. Very happy to have a Hugo-centric episode this week, too. I look forward to seeing more overlap between the timelines.

-dh

One of the Lost boards I post on occasionally, many do not like this season episodes and story telling. Some feel the FS stories are a waste.

I personally really like this seasons stories. I think they add a lot to the characters and how things might have been different for them. To me there is much deeper story telling than just some people crashed on an island with weird properties. I like the Jacob/MiB story and their philosophy that each carry.

Four more until the series finale :( Though one part of me is glad because I am not sure how much longer they could have produced good stories and kept the audience engaged.

A

abq_farside

Two more episodes left before the 2 1/2 hour show finale!

Next weeks episode is Across the Sea

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVAnzTHT9g[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPfT6ISsNKk[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts