Astronomers just discovered a comet that could be brighter than most stars when we see it next year. Or will it?

Apr 28, 2024
Visit site
Hopefully this will be spectacular enough to be a naked eye object. Estimated magnitude -0.9. at closest pass to Earth.

Just one minor gripe. What does "just discovered" mean? Maybe it means discovered early last year (15 months ago). C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS) was discovered by Purple Mountain Observatory on 9 January 2023. Is there really a need for hype?
/grumpy old man mode off

"The fact the comet was found while it's so far away is part of the reason for astronomers' excitement. Although currently some 60,000 times too faint to see with the naked eye, the comet is bright for something so far from the sun. And observations suggest it's following an orbit that could allow it to become truly spectacular."

My note. This makes the comet currently about 12 magnitudes fainter than apparent magnitude 6.5, very faint. For many in urban areas, the comet must be perhaps magnitude 1-3 or brighter to see fairly easy, perhaps. I plan to wait and see here :)

Apr 28, 2024
Visit site
Current Apparent Magnitude as of April 29 is 10.5 at 1.8AU distance according to Heavens Above. Very promising for those in the Northern Hemisphere at least. (Count me out)

Reactions: rod