Lunar Eclipse Phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KickLaBuka

<p>A few months ago there was a lunar eclipse.&nbsp; I observed the moon at several points up to and including the eclipse.&nbsp; I noticed that just before the earth began to shadow the moon, the moon got very bright, much brighter than it had been just minutes prior.&nbsp; Then I noticed a darker spot on the moon also just before the earth began to shadow.&nbsp; this spot was in the corner of the moon that the earth was about to shadow.&nbsp; My guess and my question is:&nbsp; Does the Earth's plasmasphere (coma) cause the moon to glow brighter just before an eclipse?&nbsp; Also, does the dark spot help to identify or verify the shape of this electrical coma that surrounds the earth and faces away from the sun?</p><p>Best regards,</p><p>Kick</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-KickLaBuka</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>A few months ago there was a lunar eclipse.&nbsp; I observed the moon at several points up to and including the eclipse.&nbsp; I noticed that just before the earth began to shadow the moon, the moon got very bright, much brighter than it had been just minutes prior.&nbsp; Then I noticed a darker spot on the moon also just before the earth began to shadow.&nbsp; this spot was in the corner of the moon that the earth was about to shadow.&nbsp; My guess and my question is:&nbsp; Does the Earth's plasmasphere (coma) cause the moon to glow brighter just before an eclipse?&nbsp; Also, does the dark spot help to identify or verify the shape of this electrical coma that surrounds the earth and faces away from the sun?Best regards,Kick <br />Posted by KickLaBuka</DIV><br /><br />First the brightness. It is possible this is a well known effect. The full moon is brighter than the moon just before and after. The reason is that small pits and relief are partially in shadow right up until the full moon. At the full moon, all of the surface is in sulight, so it is anomolously bright.</p><p>As for the second (the drak spot) I have never noticed such a phenomenon, it's an interesting observation.</p><p>There is no way for any magnetic (electrical) event to cause that. There are however some atmosphereic (i.e. refraction of sunlight) effects that might cause it. Have to ponder that for a bit.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

K

KickLaBuka

<span style="font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana"><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>There are however some atmosphereic (i.e. refraction of sunlight) effects that might cause it. Have to ponder that for a bit.</DIV></span> <p><span style="font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana">So light when it comes to us past the ions&rsquo; shell in the atmosphere, sunlight is actually deflected before we see it?&nbsp; Or a layer of ice crystals in the dry cold low pressure atmosphere?&nbsp; </span></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-KickLaBuka</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'> So light when it comes to us past the ions&rsquo; shell in the atmosphere, sunlight is actually deflected before we see it?&nbsp; Or a layer of ice crystals in the dry cold low pressure atmosphere?&nbsp; <br />Posted by KickLaBuka</DIV><br /><br />Huh?</p><p>Air deflects light. It has nothing to do with ions, and ice crystals are not required, but can conribute.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

K

KickLaBuka

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Huh?Air deflects light. It has nothing to do with ions, and ice crystals are not required, but can conribute. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Thanks.&nbsp; That makes sense.&nbsp; So what were you getting at with the refraction of light&nbsp;on its way to the moon?&nbsp; <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-KickLaBuka</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts