M-Theory and Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phalid

I'm currently reading and watching videos concerning String Theory and M-Theory. I've just arrived at a point where they are discussing the theory that gravity does not originate on our membrane but rather is "leaking" from another membrane in the 11th dimension. I had always understood gravity as the bending or warping of spacetime as a result of the mass of an object. However, that definition of gravity doesn't jive with the idea put forth by M-Theory. Any ideas?

K

kyle_baron

<font color="yellow"><br />gravity does not originate on our membrane but rather is "leaking" from another membrane in the 11th dimension.</font><br /><br />You have it reversed. The gravity originates in our brane, and leaks to another brane. This is a reason for gravity, being the weakest of the 4 fundamental forces. <br /><br />And welcome to SDC! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="4"><strong></strong></font></p> </div>

P

phalid

<font color="yellow"> You have it reversed. The gravity originates in our brane, and leaks to another brane. </font><br /><br />Yes, that was the original idea however it was reworked assuming gravity was leaking INTO our membrane and once all the calculation were completed it fit perfectly in explaining the weakness of gravity.....or so they said. :)<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts