MagBeam Propulsion

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

worthj1970

In the Space.com article on MagBeam Propulsion, it doesn't say what keeps the 'end' pieces from moving. If you in any way propel something away from you, you naturally go in the opposite direction. So what keeps that from happening in the case of MagBeam Propulsion? Wouldn't the propelling device go flying off in the opposite direction from the space ship?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />John W.

D

doogsy

i asked the very same question to myself when i read the article.

D

doogsy

we have no massive objects near us, apart from the moon, and it spins. There are no massive asteroids near earth. The most massive station we have is the ISS and that is still not big, it it is quite expensive. How do we get something this massive over at mars???

L

lewcos

"we have no massive objects near us, apart from the moon, and it spins."<br /><br />Couldn't we let out slack as the moon spins and then reel it back in as its face approaches? - sort of like one of those long dog leashes that give slack then retreat as the dog comes closer.

N

nexium

Perhaps I don't understand,but I don't think that would work however the leash could be connected at the North or South pole of the moon, then the tether would just wind up like a rubber band motor for a model airplaine. Neil

N

nissasa

You let the beam equipment orbit the earth. Then as it fires a beam at a ship, it also fires one at the earth to cancel the effect. The earth's orbit around the sun will not be affected on any practical level.

N

nexium

Or still better several magbeams in different locations takes turns accellerating several space craft in different directions, so the recoil approximately cancels. Is the magbeam, esentually a partical beam accellerator, or something else? Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts