Map of the orbiter cargo bay and solar array joint layouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I was wondering if someone had maps of the how the orbiter's cargo bay is normally used, where the boom would go, and how much of the bay Kibo took up.&nbsp; Also, how about a map of which of ISS's solar array joints move in which direction? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

C

Cygnus_2112

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I was wondering if someone had maps of the how the orbiter's cargo bay is normally used, where the boom would go, and how much of the bay Kibo took up.&nbsp; Also, how about a map of which of ISS's solar array joints move in which direction? <br /> Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;How about using google and do an easy search of the web for the mission presskit or go to NASA.gov?</p><p>http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/228145main_sts124_presskit2.pdf</p><p>&nbsp;Page 3 shows the payload bay. &nbsp;&nbsp; The OBSS would go on the opposite sill from the shuttle arm</p><p>page&nbsp; 60 show the two types of joints.&nbsp; Alpha joint is on the truss, just inboard of the arrays.&nbsp; The beta joint is on each individual array wing </p>

W

willpittenger

<p>The PDF shows plenty of space to store the boom.&nbsp; There is a lot of empty space in front of Kibo.&nbsp; Besides, you said the boom would go opposite the arm.&nbsp; I don't see how that would conflct with Kibo.</p><p>As for the solar array joints, it was nice seeing them up close, but I was thinking of something showing their location. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

C

Cygnus_2112

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The PDF shows plenty of space to store the boom.&nbsp; There is a lot of empty space in front of Kibo.&nbsp; Besides, you said the boom would go opposite the arm.&nbsp; I don't see how that would conflct with Kibo.As for the solar array joints, it was nice seeing them up close, but I was thinking of something showing their location. <br /> Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The boom is make to go on the sill along the hinge of the door, so the volume in front of the module is not viable.&nbsp; The conflict opposite of the arm was a matter of inche with some items on the module. &nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;The location of the joints was on the page I mentioned, but here is a better reference</p><p>&nbsp;http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/news/ISS_Reference_Guide.html</p><p>Everything you want to know.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The 3rd page of the document called "systems" has a detailed layout of the truss </p>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The PDF shows plenty of space to store the boom.&nbsp; There is a lot of empty space in front of Kibo.&nbsp; Besides, you said the boom would go opposite the arm.&nbsp; I don't see how that would conflct with Kibo.As for the solar array joints, it was nice seeing them up close, but I was thinking of something showing their location. <br />Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>The OBSS is mounted on the port sill of the payload bay on the other side of the payload bay from where the RMS is mounted. There is no other place to mount it. The lab did not have enough clearance to be removed from the payload bay with the lab installed in the payload bay. Plus the arm weight (nearly 600 pounds ) was too much for the vehicle to carry to orbit with the manifested cargo.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The PDF shows plenty of space to store the boom.&nbsp; There is a lot of empty space in front of Kibo.&nbsp; Besides, you said the boom would go opposite the arm.&nbsp; I don't see how that would conflct with Kibo.As for the solar array joints, it was nice seeing them up close, but I was thinking of something showing their location. <br />Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>BTW, RMS and OBSS ("boom") are mounted on pedistals which rotate inward into the payload bay to allow the payload bay doors to close./</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>BTW, RMS and OBSS ("boom") are mounted on pedistals which rotate inward into the payload bay to allow the payload bay doors to close.</p><p>Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV><br />Thanks SG.&nbsp; That is something you can't see in those images. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts