Mars and Moon equipment deployment vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dryson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Science_Laboratory

I was looking at the new Mars Science Laboratory and began to wonder about a new approach to landing vehicles and modules on the Moon. I wonder if it would be possible to use the Sky Crane to lower vehicles and modules to the Moons surface and then return to the home ship to unload more vehicles and modules. A vehicle may be difficult because of it's size but an ISS type module should not be that difficult to lower to the Moons surface. All that would need to be done to make the Sky Crane larger to handle the larger sized objects. This would save on having two crews present one to receive the object and another to send the object. The Sky Crane would lower the vehicles and modules to the surface of the Moon and then return to Earth. The next crew would then be sent to the Moon to assemble the modules for later use. Also would it be more feasible to use VSTOl type engines on the Sky Crane to give it better manueverability instead of fixed engines that would require more fuel to be used to manuever the object being deployed?

M

MeteorWayne

Wrong forum, moved to SB&T.

Missions and Launches is for actual Missions and Launches.

You've been around here long enough to know that, if you paid attention.

D

dryson

Another question.? What happens to the Sky Crane after is has been used? Does it fire off into space in a radom direction or does it just crash somewhere else on the planet? It could be used as a recon type hover sat that would take pictures of the areas around the landing site up close so the rover team could have a better picture of what they are going to be driving over.

B

bushwhacker

as far as i know it fly's off to the side and crashes

D

dryson

What a waste of equipment that could be used as a secondary source of (insert idea)?

M

MeteorWayne

It will have exhausted it's propellant, so is dead weight after that. Mr Newton (and Einstein) take over then.

G

Gravity_Ray

dryson":2r25mwkv said:
Another question.? What happens to the Sky Crane after is has been used? Does it fire off into space in a radom direction or does it just crash somewhere else on the planet? It could be used as a recon type hover sat that would take pictures of the areas around the landing site up close so the rover team could have a better picture of what they are going to be driving over.
Certainly it would have been great to use it, however fuel is heavy and it only has enough fuel to acomplish itstask of delivering the rover. Who knows once humanity establishes itself on Mars it may be retrived and placed in a museum.

E

EarthlingX

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Ie7i6vRUM[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts