Question Mars' daylight

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Because of the planet's tilt, similar to Earth, I would assume seasonal daylight changes similar to ours. However, the Martian year and seasons are longer than ours (number of days to circle the Sun), so the daylight changes would follow suit.

What specifically are you trying to determine?

Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
It would be like the Earth’s year, but, twice as long, but, sunlight is about half what it is here because of the distance from the Sun. The day is about a half hour longer.
Thank you for your reply. Considering the thinness of the atmosphere on Mars, how much stronger will the sunlight be on Mars's surface than on Earth?

Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
Because of the planet's tilt, similar to Earth, I would assume seasonal daylight changes similar to ours. However, the Martian year and seasons are longer than ours (number of days to circle the Sun), so the daylight changes would follow suit.

What specifically are you trying to determine?
Thank you for your reply. I personally want to simulate growing plants on Mars, so I'm looking into the yearly variation of daylight hours in the most watery Antarctic.

In the Antarctic of mars there is perpetual darkness in their winter. There is no sunlight. In summer it is perpetually light but at a strength only about 40% of ours. Without an atmosphere, Mars doesn't lose 30% like Earth does. Mars net sunshine on the surface would be about half that of Earth.

Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
In the Antarctic of mars there is perpetual darkness in their winter. There is no sunlight. In summer it is perpetually light but at a strength only about 40% of ours. Without an atmosphere, Mars doesn't lose 30% like Earth does. Mars net sunshine on the surface would be about half that of Earth.
Thank you for your reply. So, apart from the temperature, sunlight would be insufficient to grow plants in the Antarctic region of Mars?

I wonder how pressure effects growth. We know plants can take higher pressure for we have marine plants. And plants can grow at high altitudes. But how much of the green line is pressure related as well as temperature related. Or CO2 related.

Does water preform the same at low pressures? How much external pressure is needed for life? There must be a pressure band with the temperature band.

Marine based life can exist under very high pressures. But is there a minimum pressure for life?

It seems that water bears and some rotofers can survive no pressure. But could a seed spout and grow?

Is pressure also a requirement for life?

Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
I wonder how pressure effects growth. We know plants can take higher pressure for we have marine plants. And plants can grow at high altitudes. But how much of the green line is pressure related as well as temperature related. Or CO2 related.

Does water preform the same at low pressures? How much external pressure is needed for life? There must be a pressure band with the temperature band.

Marine based life can exist under very high pressures. But is there a minimum pressure for life?

It seems that water bears and some rotofers can survive no pressure. But could a seed spout and grow?

Is pressure also a requirement for life?
Thank you for the enlightening reply. What about starting with growing algae like chlorella or spirulina in farms or tubes?

Mars has only half the sunlight of Earth. If growing with solar energy, the best way might be to put out solar panels, get the sunlight into the form of electricity and then put the plants underground with grow lights that put out only the needed wavelengths. Typically a narrow line in the blue and one in the red. The growth rates would be higher than simply exposing the plants to sunlight.

Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
Mars has only half the sunlight of Earth. If growing with solar energy, the best way might be to put out solar panels, get the sunlight into the form of electricity and then put the plants underground with grow lights that put out only the needed wavelengths. Typically a narrow line in the blue and one in the red. The growth rates would be higher than simply exposing the plants to sunlight.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful insight. Underground cultivation is also likely to protect plants from radiation. Can there be the nutrients necessary for plants, such as nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, in the soil on Mars?

TRENDING THREADS