Mars is at its closest to Earth until 2035. Here's how to see it.

Yes indeed! Last night I used my trusty, 90-mm Vixen refractor telescope and enjoyed some great views of Mars at 200x using red and green filters. The green filter brightens the small, south polar cap and the red filter, showed quite a bit of dark surface details including Syrtis Major and Hellas areas. Tonight I plan another Mars observing run using my 10-inch Newtonian. The past month or so, Mars has been putting on quite a show.

The recent viewing last weekend was the best I have seen for Mars. The surface features are hard to miss and, though tiny, the polar ice cap is nice and bright white. Our skies have seen no rain and the seeing is difficult, and so are my collimation attempts. :(

This weekend will be great to have visitors look at Jupiter, Saturn and Mars, but Mars is best near midnight.

Reactions: rod
Helio, I enjoyed some very good views of Mars last night but before 11:00 PM so Mars elevation angle not the best but it was good. I used my 10-inch from 86x to 300x views and with filters green, red, and yellow. On the dobsonian mount, using the guide knob on the large tube to keep Mars centered at 300x was not easy so we must live on an earth that is flat and does not spin :)

:)

Each night will be better and better for those not wanting to stay-up till early morning hours.

Although Sat. might be the best practical night to view Mars, including Jupiter and Saturn, there is a hurricane coming that may change that picture for those affected, including me.

I might try Thursday night. My laser collimator wiggles in place so it's hard to get it right.

Helio, my 10-inch Newtonian delivered some outstanding views of Mars last night, especially after 2200 EDT when Mars higher elevation angle and using red filter. So much detail visible from 48x to 216x views. Get out there and look at Mars :)

Helio, my 10-inch Newtonian delivered some outstanding views of Mars last night, especially after 2200 EDT when Mars higher elevation angle and using red filter. So much detail visible from 48x to 216x views. Get out there and look at Mars :)
Well, the clouds have rolled in but I think tomorrow night will still be best since Mars will be near the meridian earlier each night and it's still very close.

My 16" Dob has a short focal ratio (4.5), so my 11mm held me to 166x when I used it last weekend. The surface features were great to see, though my Mars filter (red) did little to help. Our air has been very poor limiting good seeing, but maybe that will change. I might even get up early and see it when our atmosphere is more calm, perhaps.

Latest posts