Mars jet lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Funes

How would the absence of a magnetic field around Mars affect astronauts who eventually land and stay some length of time there, and has this been included in any simulations?

F

Funes

How would the absence of a magnetic field around Mars affect astronauts who eventually land and stay some length of time there, and has this been included in any simulations?

B

BoJangles

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>How would the absence of a magnetic field around Mars affect astronauts who eventually land and stay some length of time there, and has this been included in any simulations? <br />Posted by Funes</DIV><br /><br />They get blasted by cosmic rays and mutate into reptilians...</p><p>Seriously, its actually a big concern, they can have some nasty affects, i'm sure&nbsp;NASA is thinking about them, as to what can be done about them, ill leave that for somebody else to answer. i think the ISS&nbsp;makes some sort magnetic field to shield astronauts.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>How would the absence of a magnetic field around Mars affect astronauts who eventually land and stay some length of time there, and has this been included in any simulations? <br />Posted by Funes</DIV><br /><br />They get blasted by cosmic rays and mutate into reptilians...</p><p>Seriously, its actually a big concern, they can have some nasty affects, i'm sure&nbsp;NASA is thinking about them, as to what can be done about them, ill leave that for somebody else to answer. i think the ISS&nbsp;makes some sort magnetic field to shield astronauts.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>How would the absence of a magnetic field around Mars affect astronauts who eventually land and stay some length of time there, and has this been included in any simulations?</p><p>Posted by Funes</DIV><br />This is really a topic for Missions & Launches. I can tell you that many plans use buried modules for both the Moon and Mars. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>How would the absence of a magnetic field around Mars affect astronauts who eventually land and stay some length of time there, and has this been included in any simulations?</p><p>Posted by Funes</DIV><br />This is really a topic for Missions & Launches. I can tell you that many plans use buried modules for both the Moon and Mars. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

weeman

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>How would the absence of a magnetic field around Mars affect astronauts who eventually land and stay some length of time there, and has this been included in any simulations? <br />Posted by Funes</DIV><br /><br />To be honest, this very topic may be what grounds any manned missions to Mars for years to come. NASA's biggest concern right now on such a long space flight is keeping the astronauts safe from intense radiation. It's also been speculated that if the astronauts&nbsp;are hit by large solar outbursts, and the vessel does not have adequate protection, they could receive an entire life's worth of radiation in a single one-way trip to Mars. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Techies: We do it in the dark. </font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>"Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.</strong><strong>" -Albert Einstein </strong></font></p> </div>

W

weeman

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>How would the absence of a magnetic field around Mars affect astronauts who eventually land and stay some length of time there, and has this been included in any simulations? <br />Posted by Funes</DIV><br /><br />To be honest, this very topic may be what grounds any manned missions to Mars for years to come. NASA's biggest concern right now on such a long space flight is keeping the astronauts safe from intense radiation. It's also been speculated that if the astronauts&nbsp;are hit by large solar outbursts, and the vessel does not have adequate protection, they could receive an entire life's worth of radiation in a single one-way trip to Mars. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Techies: We do it in the dark. </font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>"Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.</strong><strong>" -Albert Einstein </strong></font></p> </div>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>To be honest, this very topic may be what grounds any manned missions to Mars for years to come. NASA's biggest concern right now on such a long space flight is keeping the astronauts safe from intense radiation. It's also been speculated that if the astronauts&nbsp;are hit by large solar outbursts, and the vessel does not have adequate protection, they could receive an entire life's worth of radiation in a single one-way trip to Mars.</p><p>Posted by weeman</DIV><br />Are you suggesting we send only old single men?&nbsp; (That was the joke about the nuclear powered bomber proposals of the 1950s and 1960s.) </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>To be honest, this very topic may be what grounds any manned missions to Mars for years to come. NASA's biggest concern right now on such a long space flight is keeping the astronauts safe from intense radiation. It's also been speculated that if the astronauts&nbsp;are hit by large solar outbursts, and the vessel does not have adequate protection, they could receive an entire life's worth of radiation in a single one-way trip to Mars.</p><p>Posted by weeman</DIV><br />Are you suggesting we send only old single men?&nbsp; (That was the joke about the nuclear powered bomber proposals of the 1950s and 1960s.) </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts