Mars scenery project from MOLA

DEM

Jun 12, 2022
Visit site
My name is ___ and are a GIS geek with a huge passion of space and astro geology. Nasa and USGS are so nice that they are sharing Digital Elevation Models from the MOLA mission ( Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter).
So i Use this files with ortos and creating Mars Sceneries.
Here are some examples. All the mountains and hills are from an actual laser scan of the surface. Here are some examples.
Valles Marineris
Olympus Mons
Jezero Waterflow
Jezero crater sunset at IMGUR

Last edited:
Reactions: Catastrophe
My name is ___ and are a GIS geek with a huge passion of space and astro geology. Nasa and USGS are so nice that they are sharing Digital Elevation Models from the MOLA mission ( Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter).
So i Use this files with ortos and creating Mars Sceneries.
Here are some examples. All the mountains and hills are from an actual laser scan of the surface. Here are some examples.
Valles Marineris
Olympus Mons
Jezero Waterflow
Jezero crater sunset
Nice work. [The last link failed for me.]

Interestingly, Mars has blue sunsets for the region near the sun. This is due to selective scattering where the “air” molecules are just the right size to scatter-away the red light but not the blue light. Google “Mars sunset”.

iPad

DEM

Jun 12, 2022
Visit site
Nice work. [The last link failed for me.]

Interestingly, Mars has blue sunsets for the region near the sun. This is due to selective scattering where the “air” molecules are just the right size to scatter-away the red light but not the blue light. Google “Mars sunset”.

iPad
Thank you.
Weird about the link. Cant get it to work. It would be nice if it was possible to upload images in the forum.
You are probably right about the colours. I have tried to mix with the atmosphere. Its tricky to get it correct. I have tried view fotos and re-create some colours. Some of the images looks more fiction then the other. Its a area outside my real knowledge. And the sun positions is probably not accurate either. =) So its a alot of fictive parameters in the image:)

Last edited:

Latest posts