Martian Weather Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacester

I'm wondering about the seasonal temperature variations on Mars. <br /><br />On Earth, the first day of summer is the day that Earth is tilted most towards the sun in the Northern Hemisphere.<br /><br />But on Mars, temperature variations change more as a result of Mars' distance from the Sun, is that correct?<br /><br />What I'm really wondering is if there's a lag effect. If the warmest days don't happen until after the closest approach (perihelion), that would be a lag effect. But if the warmest days are right at perihelion, that would be no lag effect. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

vogon13

My recollection from the Viking mission was the daily temperture swings at both landing sites was extremely predictable. This implies a relatively simple 'system'. I suppose heat storage capacity of rocks would be relatively constant everyday, lack of appreciable cloud cover would limit day to day variation in insolation of surface. About the only variables you have left are Mars/sun distance and apparent position of sun as martian seasons progress. Effects of CO2 frost apparently small enough to not 'upset the apple cart".<br /><br />The forgoing completely ignores dust storms. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

A

alpha_taur1

You can download a movie showing temperature variation over time of the Martian daily and nightly surface temperatures, and atmospheric temperatures. <br /><br />Here is the link: <br /><br />http://tes.asu.edu/<br /><br />There are all sorts of interesting effects, especially cooinciding with the time of maximum ablation of the Southern polar cap. The Southern winter (maximum tilt away from the sun for the Southern hemisphere also coincides with the Aphelion (furthest distance from the sun.<br /><br />Enjoy.<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts