Mass Effect 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Well, SDC is not really a gaming site, so that might explain it.

Y

yevaud

Lydeck, try Newsarama (link in list at top of this page). Our sister site is far more appropriate for gamers.

Luck to you.

S

Shpaget

Looks like a shoot-too-many-bullets-at-whatever-you-see-moving-because-it's-a-zombie-that-just-won't-die kind of game that requires a PC that I won't be able to afford for another 10 years or so.

N

nimbus

Actually, ME is by Bioware and so most likely heavily emphasizes story telling and role playing aspects over reflex-based action combat. Theirs and Bethesda's games have a peculiar bad habit of being rough around the edges for the action part of the game. E.G. their terrible character animation that looks suspiciously like they've got a broom stuck in their back.

N

neuvik

nimbus":1me8mcps said:
Actually, ME is by Bioware and so most likely heavily emphasizes story telling and role playing aspects over reflex-based action combat. Theirs and Bethesda's games have a peculiar bad habit of being rough around the edges for the action part of the game. E.G. their terrible character animation that looks suspiciously like they've got a broom stuck in their back.

You enwar!

Infinite ammo in mass effect was sorta just a plink fest. Just send one squad memeber forward to duck behind something and you can take out a legion on AI in seconds while they shoot at him...

E

EarthlingX

They promise open universe in this one, space shooting, landing on planets and such, i have to see that.
If they will also publish moding tools, like Bethesda does (lovely, lovely thing, still a bit buggy, but very very nice), it might keep me busy for a while. Not right now, but i will find time for it.

N

nimbus

neuvik":38h9webp said:
nimbus":38h9webp said:

You enwar!

Infinite ammo in mass effect was sorta just a plink fest. Just send one squad memeber forward to duck behind something and you can take out a legion on AI in seconds while they shoot at him...
That kinda sounds like Freedom Fighters by .. Whoever it was that made the Hitman series I think.
I haven't played either ME, much as I'd like to. No time to do it justice.. Which doesnt seem like a bad hunch given what Dragon Age was like (didnt have time to finish that either).

It really is a shame that companies that put out such great games just can't seem to get a clue and emulate at least a little of the near perfect movement model in id or Valve's games. Imagine that. Something as rich as ME or DA etc, with animation as intuitive and fluid as half life or prince of persia.

B

bdewoody

There was a pretty good special on the SyFy channel about the making of the game yesterday. It almost made me want to get it, if and when it comes out for PC's.

E

EarthlingX

Hm .. that is .. soon ? :)
If only the universe they describe would make some sense in ours, like star names, distances, maybe even some tech, it might be able to teach people something, without associated pain, but different ;)

I guess reality doesn't sell that well ..

N

nimbus

EarthlingX":1jo2kfly said:
Hm .. that is .. soon ? :)
If only the universe they describe would make some sense in ours, like star names, distances, maybe even some tech, it might be able to teach people something, without associated pain, but different ;)

I guess reality doesn't sell that well ..
There's too many (creative) loops to jump thru to make a realistic story as fantastically entertaining as unrestricted SF/fantasy. It's definitely possible and feasible, but just too hard for anyone but dedicated (e.g. passionate independent developers) groups to risk trying it.. IMO.

E

EarthlingX

I agree it is hard, but i believe it can be done. I have seen Freelancer Universe with our solar backyard, many other things, very close to real, might be too much to start the count here.

Trick is, to try and stick to reality as much as you can without hurting the story. It makes story more believable and more personal. Avatar is not such a bad example, even though a little bit stretched at the points ..

This thread explains my stand on the subject, i hope:
Virtual space tech

N

nimbus

Just like I predicted. Gameplay marred by awful character maneuverability and animation, and assorted bugs and bad design choices. Along with a few parts in the game that fall way short of the high standard set by the rest of the game. One of those disappointments is the end, of all things.

Two thumbs up + three thumbs down verdict.

Z

ZenGalacticore

I really must give up my silly life for a game. The "World of Warcraft" people have already threatened me with cyber-excommunication.

I refuse to believe in their power to deny me access to the one true video-game god.

E

EarthlingX

ZenGalacticore":3dkqt90s said:
I really must give up my silly life for a game. The "World of Warcraft" people have already threatened me with cyber-excommunication.

I refuse to believe in their power to deny me access to the one true video-game god.
Nah, you can finish this game in 20-30 hours, that's two - three weeks avoiding TV, which can be only good. I hope TV is not your life.

World of Warcraft .. yea, nice, but hardly any rockets, no space - erhm, seen that, run a server for a while, did a lot of new environment, scripting, mobs, quests .. Some things are nice, some not so much, but they had a lot of time to do the polish.
Btw, i play Warcraft since 1.0 ..
In short - don't worry about them ;)

E

EarthlingX

It seams, this will have to wait, until i have about 20GB of free space on the disk. Not very soon ..

E

EarthlingX

Ok, maybe sooner than expected, darn .. :roll:

I tried it a bit, with imported lvl 52 character, had no bugs so far, about 5h in the game. As usual, i proceed very slow, check around every corner, talk to everybody, etc. I got me a new body, new powers, new ship, a couple of upgrades, plenty of minerals, and i'm getting ready to rock.

I like how they use real names of clusters, nebulae, and they almost got the shape of the Milky Way right. Sci-fi holds so far - if you take into account the time difference - there's a lot of detail and background on everything - there's a lot you can do beside the main quest.

I'm not so thrilled about how the new ship is organized, but ok.

Here's a walk-through, which can be read as a book, or story, plenty of images :

guides.ign.com : Mass Effect 2 Guide/Walkthrough

It might cause me to be lost in space for while .. stay tuned :cool:

( Omega )
Screenshot-00006w600px.jpg

edit.
Done with Omega, next - Dossier : Convict

E

EarthlingX

About 80h in the game, i have finished all of the side quests, and have all the team members loyal, at level 25. There are still a couple of weapons and abilities, which could be upgraded for one level, but i have no more money for them, and no missions left where i could get money, so i guess it's so by the design. Very nice.
Screenshot-00024-w700px.jpg

I like how the game locations are organized around the ship, and i find upgrading weapons much preferable to changing them - saves time, and improves the game flow.
It is also interesting to read various planet descriptions, though in some rare cases, they might have not been thought too well, but nevertheless i find most if not all of them possible and in the realm of the known facts. There is some room for speculation, which is being explored of course, and i'm taking FTL, element zero and various powers out of this fact-picture. I would very much like to see someone with more knowledge in astro-physics and astro-chemistry to check the game, to either confirm or invalidate my assumptions.
Game introduces a lot of science facts and words, and i think it is possible that some of the players might actually check them on Wiki, to see what is and what is not, which is recommended in any case.
There are also fuel depots, where you can buy - guess what - fuel and probes for planetary prospecting.
There are, of course, a lot of simplifications.
Screenshot-00021w700px.jpg

I'm playing this game as a good guy, Paragon, but had to press Renegade (dark side) button at least once, to stay honest to myself. Neutral options make sense in all cases, though they can be a bit cold.
Morality is a rather big issue in this game, and i'm still chewing on my impressions about it. Good decisions are in general harder to accomplish - if that might be a lesson - and their goodness might be questioned by the perspective - i think pirates might object calling a destruction of their bases, killing everyone there, including bots, dogs and vermin, hacking into every hackable thing and plundering anything that could be moved or plundered, a good thing. Beware you naughty galactic scum - all your bases are belong to i and your time draws nigh !
Screenshot-00025w700px.jpg

I had no problems in any of the quests, and had seen no bugs worth mentioning that i couldn't shoot at and get rid of. I had one crash due to the overheating of my graphic card, but no other issues. Game can get extremely slow if there isn't enough memory, as i found out after running in parallel a program which took most of the free RAM - you don't want that.
My box is dual core AMD at 2.6 GHz, 2G RAM, GForce 7600 GS, WinXP SP2 patched SP3.
There are no memory leaks, as game runs ok even after a couple of days without restart - all in all, good job Bioware, so far 9/10.
Game uses Unreal 3 game engine, so i expect a lot of moding tools, when i will look for them.

I have still to check downloadable content, perhaps something about it later.

Very good reference and source of game information :
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_2

E

EarthlingX

Finished the game, with downloadable content, 98h, let say 100h.

There are two more characters in DLCs, new missions, upgrades and such, you get to drive a jumping and shooting ground vehicle, and visit some historic locations.

You don't get thrown to the main menu when you are finished, but can continue roaming the Milky Way for things you haven't done before, which is also nice. Importing a character from a finished game to a new one is expected and nice too.
There are also one-time conversations with surviving members, which vary upon your decision in the game finale.

P

phaze

SPOILERS

This game was a whole bunch of awesome.

The gameplay, the graphics, the sound, the settings, the individual missions... my only complaint (and I do like to complain) is that I don't think it was nearly as strong, from a story perspective, as the original.

With the abundance of available and well-introduced lore from ME1, fighting a half-finished robot powered by human blood didn't have nearly the dramatic impact of the original climax (though it sure was fun.)

Some imperfect comparisons would be T1 vs. T2... Alien vs. Aliens... and A New Hope vs. Return of the Jedi.... if you get my drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts