Matter in the universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AdrianVasiliu

The universe is continuously expanding and creating new stars and galaxies. My question is
where does the matter to create a new star come from? The only explanation I can come up
with is that at the initial creation, the Big Bang, matter was created into infinity. There is no
other way to explain how a new star is created when the universe expands into nothingness.

I don't know if I could get an individual reply. If I could my email address is adrianvasi@comcast.net.

Thanks,

Adrian

N

neilsox

Hi Adrian: Mainstream opinion is the amount of matter in the universe has decreased a bit since the universe became transparent 13.7 billion years ago. Since the universe is expanding, the average density is decreasing, mostly between the galactic groups. If the accelerating expansion continues for a million times a billion years, nearly all the galaxies will be too far away, to be seen except with the most powerful telescopes. Energy is converted to matter in rare conditions, but much more matter is being converted to energy. Most energy is photons and neutrinos traveling at the speed of light. Black holes are thought to be increasing their mass much faster than hawking's radiation is reducing their mass with rare exceptions. In the very far future = a billion times a billion times a billion years 10E27, more than half of the matter and several percent of the present photons, and neutrinos will be trapped inside black holes of several solar mass or more. My guess is a new theory will replace most of the present main stream opinion, but I have no idea what the new theories will be. Neil

O

origin

If the accelerating expansion continues for a million times a billion years, nearly all the galaxies will be too far away, to be seen except with the most powerful telescopes.

Actually after that amount of time there will ONLY be the loacal galaxies (which may be one supper galaxy by that time) that can be seen at all, regardless of how powerful the telescope is. The reason is that the other galaxies will have recession velocities exceeding the speed of light so we will not be able to see them using any means.

T

trossachs

I believe that if a galaxy's recession speed (from a fixed point in space, say the central point of the big bang) is only half light speed and our galaxy's recession speed is half light speed in the opposite direction, then we still won't be able to see the other galaxy at all (unless 'recession speeds' are always measured relative to us). I think this also explains why we can only account for about 10% of the matter of the universe.

S

Saiph

recessional velocities are relative to us :)

Also, as long as the recession is NOT due to the expansion of space, we'd still be able to see eachother since at such high speeds, velocities don't add like we're used to. 0.5C + 0.5C does not = 1C.

D

dragon04

AdrianVasiliu":1byznekn said:
The universe is continuously expanding and creating new stars and galaxies. My question is
where does the matter to create a new star come from? The only explanation I can come up
with is that at the initial creation, the Big Bang, matter was created into infinity. There is no
other way to explain how a new star is created when the universe expands into nothingness.

I don't know if I could get an individual reply. If I could my email address is adrianvasi@comcast.net.

Thanks,

Adrian

Stars aren't being created from "nothing". The matter that new stars are formed from has been here all along. In fact, there's huge quantities of Hydrogen gas in vast clouds and some helium as well, and lots of cosmic dust and heavy atoms that were byproducts of older stars exploding.

So over 13 billion years later, the Universe still hasn't used up all of the Hydrogen it started with.

K

kg

AdrianVasiliu":d5insh6d said:

Thanks,

Adrian

It sounds to me like you are describing the steady state theory...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steady_state_theory
According to this theory the universe had no beginning and something called the "C-field" drives the expansion of the universe while creating new matter to keep the density of matter in the universe constant. This theory has fallen out of favor in the past few decades because it does not seem to hold up to astronomical observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts