Meet Calypso, a daredevil mission concept to explore the surface of Venus

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
Unless you have a good tether this is simply a boondoggle. We have a bunch of moon lander and mars lander mission which are higher priority if the taxpayers want something back for their money. 20 miles of tether is a long long long rope. Given the atmosphere a carbon rope might work assuming the chemistry would not eat it up but it would still weigh a lot and require a very large balloon to hold it up. Nobody has built a rope made of carbon more than a few feet long much less twenty plus miles. Given the weight , you are looking at a very large booster in the saturn V range to launch the balloon and the rest to Venus. Program cost would be in the billions.

MeS

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
Unless you have a good tether this is simply a boondoggle. We have a bunch of moon lander and mars lander mission which are higher priority if the taxpayers want something back for their money. 20 miles of tether is a long long long rope. Given the atmosphere a carbon rope might work assuming the chemistry would not eat it up but it would still weigh a lot and require a very large balloon to hold it up. Nobody has built a rope made of carbon more than a few feet long much less twenty plus miles. Given the weight , you are looking at a very large booster in the saturn V range to launch the balloon and the rest to Venus. Program cost would be in the billions.

I can buy a carbon fiber cable much longer than "a few feet." The breaking length of several materials exceeds 20 miles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_strength). Most innovative extraplanetary probes cost billions.

We don't get anywhere by giving up before we're actually defeated.

Reactions: Lovethrust
Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
I wonder what it would cost to put a parasol at Vanuis' L1 blocking solar radiation from Venus? And how long would it take for Venus to cool down to the pont where we could land on the surface at a temp in roughly Earth range?
I doubt it ever would even with a huge parasol. There is so much heat trapped there...