Mercury was shrinking for at least 3 billion years — and it still might be today

Widespread small grabens consistent with recent tectonism on Mercury, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-023-01281-5, 02-Oct-2023.

"...The identified grabens are about 10 to 150 m deep, tens of kilometres in length and generally less than 1 km wide. We find that the grabens occur as secondary tectonic features on larger compressional tectonic structures, which indicates continued activity of the parent structure. We estimate that they must be ~300 million years old or younger; otherwise, impact gardening would have masked their signature by burial and infilling. The widespread distribution of grabens and their young age supports the continued activity of Mercury’s shortening structures into geologically recent times and is consistent with thermochemical evolution models for a slowly cooling planetary interior and prolonged global contraction."

Okay, our best foot forward now to show Mercury is at least 4.5 billion years old it seems. Perhaps Mercury younger in age or much more recent catastrophism in the solar system :)

Dear Abby:

"grabens...typically occur when the crust is stretched, an indicator of the planet's shrinkage."

I understand that grabens occur when crust is stretched, but the whole premise here is that the crust is shrinking.

Signed,
Confused

Dear Abby:

"grabens...typically occur when the crust is stretched, an indicator of the planet's shrinkage."

I understand that grabens occur when crust is stretched, but the whole premise here is that the crust is shrinking.

Signed,
Confused
Yeah, the stretching story seems a bit odd since a graben has two fault lines, where fracture due to stretching could be one fault line, I assume.

The link below shows a likely lunar graben, and it is described as a region that sank.

That's not my point. The graben only occurs where the crust is stretching. On a shrinking planet with no plate tectonics there no place where the crust is stretching. It's impossible. Something is not adding up.

I think they are looking at the "wrinkle" point of view. The surface area must decrease, but we have to keep that area. A wrinkle is the solution, it's misdirects or misaligned some of the area into wrinkles....some of the area is pointed up and some of the area is pointed down. Slopes and grabens.

So a constant area stretched up and down to rest on reduced area. Wrinkled. The wrinkle is the stretch.

That's the only way I can figure it.

Latest posts