Metal clouds turn scorching hot exoplanet into the universe's largest mirror

"The planet, designated LTT9779 b..."

Exoplanet properties and info for this planet can be found at these sites.

The radius is some 4.72 earth radii size and about 29 earth masses. Its semi-major axis = 0.01679 au, much closer to the host star than Mercury in our solar system. The space.com article states, "As an ultra-hot Neptune which orbits so close to its star, LTT9779b is the first in a population of "missing planets" to be discovered. Planets of this size and mass, which orbit close to their parent stars, have been long-absent from the exoplanet catalog, which now contains over 6,000 worlds."

Exoplanet studies are becoming more and more interesting :)

Jul 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi

I think I have a bigger cosmic mirror: a blackhole. But you should see it from a exotic point of view: the inside.

The mass of the blackhole bends the spacetime so all of the outgoing lines gets bent incoming. That's what blackholes do. So if you could look upwards from inside a blackhole, I expect you would see something pretty much like a mirror. A mirror not only for light like the ones on earth, but also for energy and matter.

What size should be this mirror? I'm not sure. I think that the space is bent from the event horizon to the center of the BH, so I guess that deeper is the observer, smaller and closer to him is the mirror-sphere he finds above. If I'm right then the biggest cosmic mirror should be with the minimal possible depth once crossed the event horizon, and the size should be the whole event horizon of the biggest blackhole.

The "small" detail I have not mentioned is that of course, if you are inside a blackhole and you can see this mirror then you are dead. And if we send a camera, then the camera will not be able to contact us. And it possibly will be difficult to take an action when falling at a relativistic speed.

Regards - Pablo

Once inside a black hole event horizon all movement is toward the center, no photons from you could travel out to bounce off of the inside surface of the event horizon so it could function as a mirror. You would not see your image, you would see the outside world's photons coming in.

And if the black hole was big enough, say several billion solar masses, the tidal forces as you pass through the event horizon would not be noticeable. It would be much later you would get torn apart.

Jul 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi Mr. Billslugg
Once inside a black hole event horizon all movement is toward the center, no photons from you could travel out to bounce off of the inside surface of the event horizon so it could function as a mirror. You would not see your image, you would see the outside world's photons coming in.

And if the black hole was big enough, say several billion solar masses, the tidal forces as you pass through the event horizon would not be noticeable. It would be much later you would get torn apart.
Thanks for the reply. I have to think and rethink the first phrase, but it's only my homework.
First post here makes me think and I learn. It looks it's a good forum.
Thanks. Regards - Pablo

Reactions: billslugg
LTT9779b semi-major axis = 0.01679 au as previously stated in post #3. There are a bunch of exoplanets now documented with orbits as close or closer than Venus in our solar system, some 49% or more of the data. Most of those exoplanets are large radii size and masses. The exoplanet.eu site currently shows 5460 confirmed, the NASA archive site shows 5470 confirmed. Using the exoplanet.eu site, 2683 orbit closer than Venus in our solar system (a <= 0.73 au), mean mass 2.48 Jupiter masses. The NASA site shows 2693 and mean mass 1.19 Jupiter masses. Radii compared to Earth quite large too, mean near 5.9 earth radii for both list of exoplanets (indicating many exoplanets will have higher surface gravity well and larger escape velocities than Earth). Our solar system arrangement is very different. CHEOPs is finding exoplanets that are large and closer to their parent stars, TESS too. TESS shows 363 confirmed, semimajor axis range 0.00622 au to 0.9 au, mean mass 262.9 earth masses. What do observations like this indicate when looking for ET phoning home or other exoplanets that are claimed to be earthlike with possible life on them or in the habitable zone? IMO, astrobiology and claims of ET phoning home in the Milky Way, have a long way to go to be science.