Meteors this month

• Thread starter codex_of_wisdom
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

codex_of_wisdom

Okay, does anybody else find it odd how many large fireballs have been seen over the past month? We had the one in Peru, the new one in the Minnesota area, the one over in Asia... The last I checked, that many large meteors is not normal.

M

Mee_n_Mac

I haven't seen any large ones but last night we made it to the camp where there's relatively dark skies. As ususal we sat on the end of the dock and looked up. I saw 6 - 7 meteors in about 10 -15 mins which is very unusual for normal sporadic activity. Then I think we saw another one in the remaining 30 - 40 mins we stayed out. I'd have thought it was too early for any Orionids but ....<br /><br /><br />Perhaps MW can assist us here.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

It is possible that the rate has been a bit higher this month. There are a few more you haven't mentioned.<br /><br />But the number that get reported and recorded is very small compared to how many are actually seen.<br />More are seen now, bacuse the number of video systems has increased dramatically in the last decade.<br /><br />That's why I always urge people who see a Fireball (meteor brighter than Venus) or one in the daytime to report the observations to the NAMN, AMS, or IMO so the data is saved.<br /><br />Only themn will we have enough data to say whether this period is unusual or not.<br /><br />Meteor Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

deapfreeze

I was also thinking this has been a busy month with large meteors being reported. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#0000ff"><em>William ( deapfreeze ) Hooper</em></font></p><p><font size="1">http://deapfreeze-amateur-astronomy.tk/</font></p><p> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.