Mirror in orbit to block out sun ray??

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lukman

I watched a documentary show about orbiting high tech lenses into orbit to counter global warming. Thousands of trillion of mirror to do so, nano meter thin optic and very fragile put in orbit and cost a century of world economy, not to mention that the glass mirror will be so thin and fragile and expensive, why dont use thin film made of lead instead? lead is cheap and more durable, it believe it can sustain the hard g force of rocket take off, and it bet it can block more sun than lenses.

S

Stewie_Griffin

the mirror idea sound way too expensive and complex.

Lead would probably not work because of it's weight.

M

Mee_n_Mac

lukman":307cxo1k said:
I watched a documentary show about orbiting high tech lenses into orbit to counter global warming. Thousands of trillion of mirror to do so, nano meter thin optic and very fragile put in orbit and cost a century of world economy, not to mention that the glass mirror will be so thin and fragile and expensive, why dont use thin film made of lead instead? lead is cheap and more durable, it believe it can sustain the hard g force of rocket take off, and it bet it can block more sun than lenses.

Lead has got a lot of mass comparatively speaking. It's going to cost more and take longer to put lead thingees into space than thingees made of almost anything else. Besides I get the sense you want to the lead to block light and not reflect it. This is less effective than reflecting the Sun's light. Anything absorbing the sunlight will get hot and begin to re-emit light, mostly in the IR waveband. Some of that light will find it's way to the Earth where some of it will be aborbed by the Earth's atmosphere thus warming it up. It'll probably still work given we don't want to block all the Sun's light but you'd need more absorbing thingees than you would reflecting mirrors to get the same cooling effect. Thus costing more, taking more time and launches, etc, etc.

L

lukman

Thanks for the answer, i still think that mirror is too difficult and costly, at least it will not be possible in my generation :)

T

tampaDreamer

Well if you want to go future tech a biological solution would be the best. Photosynthesis -- a known reaction for turning co2 into o2.

Status
Not open for further replies.