Missing? One solar leftover

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lucas_900

I heard that before our sun and solar system ever existed there was a large star which, when died, formed a giant gas cloud that everything in our solar system is made of. That makes sense, but I was wondering, would there be any of this star left, like a dead core, and, if so, do we know where it is, or would it be too faint and far away to detect?

S

steampower

I think you will find that the Galaxy has completed several revolutions and moved quite a distance through space since that event took place, afaik the star concerned could be at the other side of the Galaxy atm or even in another Galaxy, we don`t know enough about stellar speeds etc to backtrack that far back in time, on a seperate note, I notice newer images showing the position of the solar system in the Galaxy have started to depict it as being half way towards the center of the Galaxy, at one time such pictures used to show the Earth as being pretty well out on the rim in a spiral arm, has something happened to cause a revision of our position in the Galaxy?, I`m guessing X-ray surveys might have corrected some misconceptions about where we are.<br /><br />steampower.

L

lucas_900

I know that recently they discovered that the Milky Way is actually larger than previously thought, so that might have something to do with it.

N

nag622

What about the discovery of a super-massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way? Isn't it possible that the rements of this star could have been "consumed"?

S

steampower

whats at the center of the solar system is our Sun, not the remains of the super or hypernova that spewed the heavy elements out into space that formed the bodies of the solar system, the Universe started out as mostly hydrogen, a whole generation or more of stars had to go through their cycle and explode to spew the materials like oxygen, carbon or iron into space that formed the planets.<br /><br />all the molecules in your body where once upon a time in the heart of a star and formed from fusion, and somewhere out there may be the remaining core of the star that donated these materials to our solar system, it`s just after this amount of time we have no idea where it is.<br /><br />as for it being consumed inside the heart of the Galaxy, it might, but it`s more likley it was in a simular orbit about the core that the Sun now is, so it most probably is still out there somewhere, maybe it`s a black hole it`self. <br /><br />steampower.

Status
Not open for further replies.