Moon Brightness Mystery Prompts Launch of Airborne Telescope

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
I was disappointed when I read "how much moonlight the moon generates"! Had it been "reflects" I would not have thought twice about how easy misinformation gets propagated.

Reactions: rod
Good catch - I reread and found this too. In the astronomy of Tycho Brahe and earlier, some considered the Moon to be a fiery body that borrowed light from the Sun while also creating some of its own light. I need to go back and review some astronomical history here too :)

Reactions: GregorS
Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
Good catch - I reread and found this too. In the astronomy of Tycho Brahe and earlier, some considered the Moon to be a fiery body that borrowed light from the Sun while also creating some of its own light. I need to go back and review some astronomical history here too :)
A note on the Moon's albedo [~0.12] would be nice and that it is a very dark rock!

Reactions: rod
A note on the Moon's albedo [~0.12] would be nice and that it is a very dark rock!

Yes it is very dark :) I enjoyed viewing the August 2017 total solar eclipse using my refractor telescope with glass, white-light solar filter. I can say, the Moon is very dark when it passed in front of the Sun. In flat earth astronomy videos (YouTube has many) about the Moon, the Moon is translucent and stars shine through parts of it during lunar eclipses :) When I viewed the solar eclipse, the Sun did not shine through the Moon :)

Latest posts