moon landing

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trailrider

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Again, I repeat, There are plans, but so far the money required to accomplish such a mission isn't even close to being there. NASA's budget would have to be doubled to even consider it a reasonable possibility within the next 25 years.I suspect that ain't gonna happen. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>While lack of money for NASA is the net effect, the ultimate reason is (1) lack of leadership; and (2) lack of will on the part of the American people, which translate to no incentive for Congress to favor NASA's programs over "entitlements".&nbsp; While both Presidents Bush announced "visions" or "initatives" for human exploration of space, there has been very little follow-up by "the head shed" after each announcement.&nbsp; One result of that has been little hard support by the general public, which translates into incentive for Congress to appropriate the money...at least until recently.&nbsp; The FY2009 NASA budget increases the funding...but probably NOT by much, certainly not enough! </p><p>What we will see from whoever becomes the next President and the next Congress is hard to predict.&nbsp; One thing that might help free up funding for a manned Luna settlement would be to get off of these stupid Ares I/V.V or whatever, in favor of the DIRECT Jupiter series.&nbsp; Not sure if we would see Ares abandoned in favor of DIRECT or when, however.&nbsp; The public is becoming more aware of the alternatives to Ares (see the Orlando Sentinal and Chicago Tribune stories, yesterday!</p><p>Otherwise, we will have to wait until the Chinese and/or the Indians do something spectacular enough to scare the dawg out of the American public.&nbsp; Like haul down Old Glory and replace it with a hammer & sickle.&nbsp; By that time, it may be</p><p>TOO LATE!</p><p>Ad Luna! Ad Ares! (Mars, not the boosters) Ad Astra!</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.