Moon Tourists

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

grooble

If NASA isn't going to send men to the moon until around 2017, when can we expect tourists to visit? <br /><br />Late 2030s to mid 2040s is my guess. <br /><br />On another note, think they'll send a woman this time ?

M

mental_avenger

I doubt that the Moon will ever be a tourist destination. Between the -380º night, and the +250º day, and the harsh radiation, most activities would be below ground anyhow. The only draw would be low G. A rotating space station in HEO would be able to supply any gravity from 0-G to 1-G. It would be easier, quicker,and cheaper to get to than the Moon. If I had my choice, I'd pick the space station, accomdations and amenities being equal.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Our Solar System must be passing through a Non Sequitur area of space.</strong></font></p> </div>

M

mental_avenger

That sounds like and expensive and uncomfortable flyby. Do they have any prospective <strike> masochists</strike> passengers? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Our Solar System must be passing through a Non Sequitur area of space.</strong></font></p> </div>

G

grooble

Space is closed to: Fat people & Claustrophobes. I worked out i could reduce my cost of launching into space by $500k by losing weight.

S

spacester

Why can't people go to the moon before NASA does? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

G

grooble

money. I bet 99% of what holds us back is lack of funds.

G

grooble

With all our modern technology can they still not block out the harmful radiation either with ship hulls or new space suits?

W

wvbraun

"It cost about $20 B for NASA's Apollo projects."<br /><br />If you factor in inflation it cost more than $100 billion. But that's still cheap, considering that NASA went form a suborbital hop to lunar landings within eight years. The Saturn rockets, the lunar lander, the CSM, the suits, the rover, the VAB, everything had to be built from the ground up. I would be surprised if NASA can do it any cheaper today unless they get the private sector involved...

O

orzek

Me too, the sight of earth from the moon should be breathtaking!

M

mental_avenger

They have. It's called lead underwear. Boxers or briefs?<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Our Solar System must be passing through a Non Sequitur area of space.</strong></font></p> </div>

G

grooble

couldn't u have a magnetic suit, with magnets in the walls which pull ur push? the ceiling could have magnets which push Down or Away, and floor could push Up. I don't know what effect this would have on a magnetic suit, whether it would create a sense of gravity, or at least allow space people to walk Upright.<br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts