Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LoveLikeMurder

Me!

Or, at least I will July 10th.

This is right up my alley (I'm a pretty big fan of people going crazy in space) and it has Sam Rockwell to boot...

S

Smersh

By the time it opens in the UK, you guys in the US will probably already have seen it on tv.

:x

B

brandbll

I just went and saw it tonight and i gotta say, one of the best science fiction movies i've ever seen! Great movie that is definitely worth seeing it you have it in a theatre near you! Personally, i thought the R rating was a little high too. This is coming from a guy who's friends complain is too picky about movies. My roommate saw it with me and it was his second time in like 3 days. Stays true to the genre of Science Fiction through and through...

D

doublehelix

I saw and ad for it during the premiere of Warehouse 13 (the jury is still out on this one), and I must say, I am intrigued.

-dh

B

brandbll

doublehelix":1r85ye7f said:
I saw and ad for it during the premiere of Warehouse 13 (the jury is still out on this one), and I must say, I am intrigued.

-dh

You gotta go see this movie DH, you won't be disappointed! You live in NY so you have no excuse like some people. With all teh scifi junkies we have here i don't know why more people aren't talking about this.

B

brandbll

brandbll said:
doublehelix said:

Is the limited release that big of a turn off for people? This is a really good science fiction movie and almost none of the science fiction junkies here have even made a peep about it. Not to mention, how often does a really good sci-fi movie come out? Something is very very wrong here...

Anyways, i think i'm gonna go see this movie again on Sunday, we'll see how the replay value of it is.

C

crazyeddie

brandbll":873weqit said:
You gotta go see this movie DH, you won't be disappointed! You live in NY so you have no excuse like some people. With all teh scifi junkies we have here i don't know why more people aren't talking about this.

I saw it yesterday and I was somewhat disappointed. It's something of a downer movie, with a bittersweet ending (mostly bitter). Technically, it's quite good.....the special effects are decent, although they made no attempt to simulate lunar gravity inside the station, only when the characters were outside. Was the station supposed to have some kind of artificial gravity? They never tell you what year this was supposed to be set in, but it looks like the not-too-distant-future. The robotic computer/assistant, voiced by Kevin Spacey, was very reminiscent of the HAL 9000 from 2001, personality-wise, with the addition of a animated smiley face that made some people in the audience chuckle as it expressed various simulated emotions. I thought it would have been more effective without it, because initially it was hard to determine whether or not Gerty (the robot/computer) was working for or against Sam. The plot had elements of The Blade Runner in it, as well as Silent Running. If you're willing to accept the rather far-fetched premise that a lunar mining station would be manned by only a single person for years at a time, it's not a bad movie......but I would never go out of my way to see it again.

B

brandbll

crazyeddie":zgp4wurj said:
brandbll":zgp4wurj said:

I saw it yesterday and I was somewhat disappointed. It's something of a downer movie, with a bittersweet ending (mostly bitter). Technically, it's quite good.....the special effects are decent, although they made no attempt to simulate lunar gravity inside the station, only when the characters were outside. Was the station supposed to have some kind of artificial gravity? They never tell you what year this was supposed to be set in, but it looks like the not-too-distant-future. The robotic computer/assistant, voiced by Kevin Spacey, was very reminiscent of the HAL 9000 from 2001, personality-wise, with the addition of a animated smiley face that made some people in the audience chuckle as it expressed various simulated emotions. I thought it would have been more effective without it, because initially it was hard to determine whether or not Gerty (the robot/computer) was working for or against Sam. The plot had elements of The Blade Runner in it, as well as Silent Running. If you're willing to accept the rather far-fetched premise that a lunar mining station would be manned by only a single person for years at a time, it's not a bad movie......but I would never go out of my way to see it again.

I'm going to guess that the reason they went with the artificial gravity thing is because it was easier and after all this is an independant film. I didn't think they needed to be too specific about that seeing as when he was outside they were in low gravity and when they came back in they were in normal Earth gravity.

Chris Duncan(AKA Zowie Bowie and yes he is David Bowie's son) said in an interview i was listening to that they did sort of attempt to make Gerty like Hal to sort of pay hommage to Hal. Kevin Spacey wouldn't even sign on to do the voice over for Gerty until the movie was completed and he could see it. Personally i liked how you could never really grasp Gerty's intentions for a lot of the movie.

I don't mind bittersweet movies, so maybe that's why i enjoyed it a lot. Wes Anderson movies are pretty much my favorite movies, and Life is Beautiful is my favorite movie of all time. So i'm sort of a fan of the bittersweet movies.

***SPOILER ALERT* DON'T READ THE REST OF MY POST IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE. I'VE PUT IT IN YELLO SO IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE DON'T READ THE YELLOW.*****

There wasn't only one person running the space station, there was a whole army of people, only they ran it one at a time. I agree though, they could have gone with a couple of more people, but in the end that would have completely changed the story.

M

missionunknown

i saw it today (by myself) and thought it was okay. It was slow to start but its one of those films that you only realise you enjoyed it after you left that theatre. Also people stayed in their seats a long time after the movie ended which is a good sign. My only gripe with this film is that it lacked fear and had excellent potential to be a creepy/ scary thriller as well as an intriguing physcolgical thriller. They should have made Gerty a bit evil and had at least some nail biting situations. As good as it was and it was good, i think this film was a wasted oppurtunity for something more tense with on the edge excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts