Multi colored blinking star or planet in Southwest sky 10pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hiltzy

There is a multi-colored blinking object in the Southwest sky (Plymouth Massachusetts). It resembles a star becasue it keeps the same general position in the sky, however it moves in a gyro like maner rapidly changing colors and flashing.<br />Anyone know what this might be? Any explanation for the crazy colors? Red, Blue, White, Green?<br />Thank you.<br />

W

willpittenger

Perhaps the atmosphere is to blame. It causes stars to twinkle. Given that some wavelengths behave differently that others by bending more or less -- perhaps you are seeing a twinkle-type effect. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

I would say the brightest star in our sky, Sirius. The colors are the result of refraction of its light in our atmosphere. The reds getting especially noticeable the closer Sirius gets to the horizon. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Jupiter is above the moon but at 10 P.M. they are in the southeastern sky and as a planet, Jupiter does not twinkle or flash different colors. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

K

kmarinas86

Oh ya, I turned the camera at the wrong direction... ooops.

Status
Not open for further replies.