My idea for a realistic sci fi (Sky Trek)

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skyskimmer

semiliterate":29bwfvyb said:
a_lost_packet_":29bwfvyb said:
That's a good point.

Often, one can wander away from a theme. If you're going to craft a story with a definite theme, you have to stick with it. Otherwise, it'll end up as a mess. In this case, it's more of the idea of a specific type of setting that pays rigorous attention to believability and deals with the possible "near future." A hundred years is pretty solidly "near future", but some of the believability and hard-science-fiction theme is getting a bit lost.

That wouldn't be good for a story/novel/film/series. But, that's just fine when brainstorming, IMO. In a free-form mode, you can work out interesting plotlines and then come back to your theme and try to see if you can plug them in without tearing the whole thing to shreds.

If you were going to edit this story, what would you suggest in order to try to wrangle the plotlines under control while staying with that hard-science-ficiton/near-future setting?

My bad. Didn't realize he had already jumped to the second story without flashing out the first one. It just seemed to me that he was jumping all over the place without concentrating on any central theme.

Hmmm ... not sure how much suggestion I could give. Not much of a writer ... don't have that dangerous gift of eloquence.

The thing is he had a good premise for a story to start with. The beginning of man's reach into outer space. His idea that asteroid mining is the driving force behind that is believable. He had me thinking of something like a cross between "Star Cops" and "Outland". Where the tension is between the corporations mining the asteroids and the international police force there to keep the peace. There is enough tension there ... man against the elements, man against man, greed, corporate espionage ... for a story.

And if you really need to have space battles ... you could have space pirates. Cliched, I know, but considering the multi-billion cargo transfers of material back to earth, you could expect someone to try to space-jack one.

Plot-lines are important, but more important are the characters ... well to me at least. It is more interesting to find out why someone does something, then for the character to just react to the "plot".

Guess that is my take on things. Will let you guys get back to brain-storming.
Wouldn't be so much direct pirates instead would be more of covert sabotage. The likely cause of the famine would be a returning mining vessels accidently colliding with the earth. There would be a forensics aspect to the show. A large part of the show would be uncovering the root cause of the sabotage.

The settlers would be heavily indebted to earth. Each person would be indebted millions of dollars in todays money to earth. Neither side would be evil or bad. The settlers would be born into debt just as it happen in the real world. The conflict would come from economics. People borrowed on the assumption that they'd be able to pay off their debts, this didn't happen therefore their left with no choice but to fight back. this can be found across the 3rd people paying the debts of past governments (russia paying soviet debts etc.) no side can give in as the amounts are far too large to be forgiven.
The leads would be very disinterested in one side or another, would simply be following orders. Their concern is survival.

B

bdewoody

All I can say is write your story and then try to sell it to a studio.

A

a_lost_packet_

semiliterate":27m99zyy said:
..Hmmm ... not sure how much suggestion I could give. Not much of a writer ... don't have that dangerous gift of eloquence.

For being "not much of a writer" pulling out the line "dangerous gift of eloquence" is a darn doozy! Wow, a sweet one-liner and very impressive... Marquis. ;)

Where the tension is between the corporations mining the asteroids and the international police force there to keep the peace. There is enough tension there ... man against the elements, man against man, greed, corporate espionage ... for a story.

/more than agree /nod

And if you really need to have space battles ... you could have space pirates. Cliched, I know, but considering the multi-billion cargo transfers of material back to earth, you could expect someone to try to space-jack one.

Not a bad notion, assuming there's an opportunity to jack one without the destination being discovered. Something on the "far side" of Saturn/Jupiter, perhaps? You know, a little farther away from prying eyes?

Plot-lines are important, but more important are the characters ... well to me at least. It is more interesting to find out why someone does something, then for the character to just react to the "plot".

Agree. Stories are about people and it really helps if you have.. people in them, even if they're robots. Memorable characters are completely necessary. But, if you're starting out with the goal being a particular theme, wouldn't you just have to set memorable characters down inside your setting and see how they react?

Guess that is my take on things. Will let you guys get back to brain-storming.

I ain't brain stormin'. I'm posting while waiting for the microwave to finish my Stouffer's "Homemade" Lasagna... "It's just like Mom used to make", Say's so, right on the box. But, my Mom's lasagna tasted like crap.. dunno why they think my Mom's cooking is such a big deal. There's a reason why none of the neighborhood kids wanted me to invite them to come to dinner at my house...

M

MeteorWayne

Thanx for reminding me. I have the ingediants for a batch of Lasagna, and have been meaning to make it. This afternoon's project :) (After the EPOXI/Hartley 2 news conf on NASA TV at 1 PM EST)

S

Skyskimmer

bdewoody":1sb58qbd said:
All I can say is write your story and then try to sell it to a studio.
Lol not that serious about it. Wouldn't mind if someone ripped it off though. The thing I can't get straight, is the style. Would it be more war movie, technobabble(I hate it when it's overdone) if it's done right much like csi it might be more tollerable.

Here goes first season episodes.

Launch(intorduction to crew, through the eyes of one of the main protaganist a jourlnalist/pr rep. much like in the movie das boot.)

Training 100 days into the series. Crew go through hours and hours of intense training, much of the combat, and dangerous are explained. A great deal is focused on Ensign(sudanese) star watcher who's role is to watch out for small meteors comparing the stress he goes through to modern day air traffic controllers. Another part is decompression drills, where all crew must wear pressure suits. much of the crew becomes very aware the danger there under. Flash forward six weeks later, when a small pebble causes a small decompression as the end sequence.

"Just another rock" upon docking at a local colony for refuel, part of the crew geologist's team uncover a coporate conspiracy interfering with ore detection. Upon further investigation it's found out one of the local workers has been sabotaging mining efforts to increase the chances that his home colony(washington) is supported. Upon the end it's found out that sabotager home colony is facing bankruptcy.

"Meltdown" on washington colony the crew must perform an aid mission to prevent this rundown colony from being forced into bankruptcy with all it's assets liquidized(forcing all the families to be sold as functionally slave labor) The colony is overheating as it's coolant system have been ingnored for the better part of a decade. The crew is able to save the colony, however due to the extensive damage to it's life support systems it will still fall into ownership of the highest bidder(the captain makes a plea to it's home goverment but falls on deaf ears), with all the men in women forced into zero g work camps, and all the children forced into split adoption throught out the belt. The crew is distraught as they realize the true gravity of the belts.

"intercept" 400-600 days in, the crew begin many of their emergency reponse/ inspection mission with the bulk of the crew slipping into exhaustion and depression, as the reality of their grim life starts to unfold. One of the crew members gets wounded as a father frantically tries to prevent the crew from discovering a large drug shipment being made which he needs to feed his family.

(breakdown) the ship's counsellor, is confronts captain about the poor mental health of it's crew as a result of recent suicide onboard ship. Much of the crew disscusses the fear, disbelief in how their space dream as turned to dust, and the physical reality of their life(bad smells, tight spaces, constant dutie/pressure, no sex etc.) Later it's learned that many colonists use drugs/sex as a way of confronting a mentally tough environment where the suicide rate is much higher than even what is found on the artic circle on earth, at the end the captain orders the doc to start given out mild subscriptions.

On a 2 week holiday at Xanadu city(largest conlony 75 k pop. The crew takes part in a number of rec activities, including (asteriod racing, sports, sex clubs, and drug binges. While on board the colony, the captain learns that there's a price on his and his crew's head for interfering with eb and flow of the clonies, even amongst the most peacful of people. Apon entering life back on board the ship tensions rise.

A

a_lost_packet_

Skyskimmer":3assl8k5 said:
..The thing I can't get straight, is the style. Would it be more war movie, technobabble(I hate it when it's overdone) if it's done right much like csi it might be more tollerable.

I think I know one of the problems. Semiliterate's post made me think about it a bit harder...

What did the mother of all awesome, true, Science Fiction movies do? So, look at your movie idea and forget all about flashy stuff and emphasizing "ZOMGZ TEH FUTURE SOCIETY" stuff.. In a situation like this, where you've got a believable future to work with... ask yourself the question - WWBD?

"What Would Bladerunner Do?"

It'd be about the characters, not the setting. It'd be about the people, not the technology. It'd be about the story, not just the theme.

So, add your setting of a near-future with all the sociological trappings, mid-high tech wizardry and space vistas.. but, only add a pinch instead of slathering a bucket of it onto the story. Then, place your characters into the mix. For some of them, you can just toss them in dramatically, making a big splash in the process. They'll always cause a big splash, those kinds of characters do that and its unavoidable. But, for others, you need to add them in slowly, so they help bring the story to a gentle simmer without overpowering the final mix. Stir everything together, but vary the strokes a bit. Sometimes, you'll need to stir briskly in order to keep things moving and so the aroma draws a crowd and holds their attention. Sometimes, you'll need to fold things together delicately, so prospective diners can taste the impact of individual ingredients and savor the flavor. But, whatever you do, don't stop stirring!

So, use the setting and theme as a nice base for the rest of your final product - The story. A bowl of chicken broth ain't much of a meal. But, if you add the right ingredients, you can make a really hearty stew with it.

(Edit - Yeah, yeah, I took the metaphor too far... But, the point is that your focus is on the characters, not the thing that needs batteries. Sure, the setting is important but its significance is ONLY as strong as its impact on the characters and the story. Does being on a ship in space effect whether or not two characters on the ship love each other? No. But, it would effect their feelings if one was on the ship and the other wasn't.)

S

Skyskimmer

Characters are important but I don't wanna get overly postmodern about it, and have a bunch of people just crying about their insecurities and daddy didn't love me garbage. I like the characterization to be done through plot, showing how different people relate and react to different experiences. One thing is for sure I would want to give a feel of a life time experience. (i.e. not all about emotinal rolecoaster stuff thta is like on most shows. , I'd like to keep a certain amount of the characters lives hidden, free from the conevenntical drama that fills most shows. (no parental issues like BSG, or people that are darkpast kara thrace or these characters that are anti heroes or overly conflicted(gaius balter).

The question is would you have science like feel, or would you have a more social feel. Simple example would you have a ready room break down like on TNG. Of course it'd be much more praitcal I.e. pressure valve brook not photon's and quarks.

A

a_lost_packet_

Skyskimmer":3uwrzs3e said:
Characters are important but I don't wanna get overly postmodern about it, and have a bunch of people just crying about their insecurities and daddy didn't love me garbage. I like the characterization to be done through plot, showing how different people relate and react to different experiences. One thing is for sure I would want to give a feel of a life time experience. (i.e. not all about emotinal rolecoaster stuff thta is like on most shows. , I'd like to keep a certain amount of the characters lives hidden, free from the conevenntical drama that fills most shows. (no parental issues like BSG, or people that are darkpast kara thrace or these characters that are anti heroes or overly conflicted(gaius balter).

But, didn't those very personal bits of a character influence BSG's reception? Don't we all have our own monogrammed luggage that we carry with us into every experience? It's that emotional baggage that determines how we react. If characters react predictably, they're dull. If they react unpredictably, the reader is going to want to know why, else the story will not be satisfying.

The question is would you have science like feel, or would you have a more social feel. Simple example would you have a ready room break down like on TNG. Of course it'd be much more praitcal I.e. pressure valve brook not photon's and quarks.

Science Fiction is about technology's impact on man and society. Sci-Fi is asplosions, nifty doo-dads and CGI. Which do you want to write?

Most authors seem to invent their own reader. It might be based on a friend, loved one or even a small group. But, often it's just an imagined reader with such&such attributes that the author tries to focus on as a potential sounding board. The author will write a passage and then say "Will readerx like this part? What would readerx really like to see? What would readerx find interesting here? How can I take readerx on a roller-coaster ride? How do I keep readerx turning the pages?" Not everything is suitable for ReaderX and the author certainly doesn't have to consult with them on the creation of every sentence. But, in the end, the author wants to be reasonably assured that their imagined ReaderX would be happy with the result.

So, create your own ReaderX. Decide what you believe ReaderX wants to read about. What does ReaderX like? What do they dislike? If you're right, and construct a realistic ReaderX, you'll have a real audience. If you're wrong, you'll find that out and you might have to make some adjustments to the expectations you've imagined for ReaderX.

S

Skyskimmer

Well bsg did have it's charcter based style, however I don't want to be a direct rip off, even though most of what I'm talking about is extremely simliar.

As far as why it's sci fi. When for me space is just the setting. It's just a place of unknowns, where creativity can flourish. The main theme of this would be industrial. In the sense how to people react to corporations, how will people adapt their relationships with corporations in the future. A central theme of this show, would be to highlight coroprations and trade not as greedy evil or bad, but just a natural fact of life. Just like in the old days the earth (weather soil rain) made for feast or famine, in the future people will see economics as the same kind of natural force that is faceless.

A lot of the show would have how the colinist being involved in economics as a way of life. People out of the nature of the enviroment would have to be both pro capitalist, and anti capitalist. This kind of duality is I think where much of the show would come from. How people lives are effected by this would be the bulk of the characterization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts