My virus software detected a Trojan Virus from this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Solifugae

It blocked the download, but I don't know why that happened on a reputable site. I don't have any proof and it's fine today, but I would appreciate it if the site maintenance guys could give it a check out.

A

aphh

It has happened to me twice. Both times the trojan managed to install itself and some tedious manual virus removal was needed. It may have something to do with installed Firefox additions.

Once I disabled Microsoft NET framwork assistant the infection from this site has not occurred since. The virus disables Windows Taskmanager, so to see whether you have been zapped by this virus press Ctrl+Alt+Del and see whether Task manager opens up (on Windows computers naturally).

If it doesn't open, you have the virus.

C

CommonMan

I have also gotten a Trojan virus, at first I wasn't sure it came from here, but now I belive it did.

S

Solifugae

I had already disabled Microsoft NET framework assistant long before yesterday when this happened. I hope noboby has hacked the site. I don't have a virus (that I know of), but if somebody has hacked the place, who knows what could happen?

A

aphh

CommonMan":wihx87eh said:
I have also gotten a Trojan virus, at first I wasn't sure it came from here, but now I belive it did.

Both of the times I got infected I was browsing this site only. I didn't think it was important, because according to virus info the trojan just sends your PI to some server, like passwords and things like that.

I thought it was simply part of the business plan of space.com.

M

MeteorWayne

Solifugae":1t4gia32 said:
It blocked the download, but I don't know why that happened on a reputable site. I don't have any proof and it's fine today, but I would appreciate it if the site maintenance guys could give it a check out.

Just curious, what page were you clicking on when this occurred? The main page, or here in the forums?

Also, what Virus SW do you use?

MW

T

trumptor

The same thing happened to me on the 12th. I also have avast. I blocked the download so I have no idea if anything happened besides opening up the correct page. It isn't giving me any warnings today though so maybe the issue is resolved.

I'm happy I saw this post because I almost reported this as a false positive back to avast.

M

MeteorWayne

I use McAfee, and Spybot search and Destroy and have never got anything like that, but I don't check the main page as often as the forums :)

A

abq_farside

You know last week I got a virus and originally did not know where it came from. Because I only had my standard pages open (tabs: HotMail, MSNBC.com SDC), I thought it was a time based virus that decided wake up and rear its head. Had to use Malwarebytes to get rid of it, it being a nasty bug: disables task manager, hides desktop, tries to make you purchase virus protection, etc.

Can't say for certain it came from SDC but now I am thinking maybe it did.

Edit: I think the name of the virus was Personal Protector

D

doublehelix

Just letting you guys know that I forwarded this thread to the product manager and developers, so they'll be looking into it.

-dh

D

drwayne

I encountered that virus (or a variant) on one of my home machines - I am still not sure I completely eradicated it.

It was only one computer, and I visit SDC from several others that have not gotten it - so I kind-of doubt
it is coming from here.

I *suspect* I got it from some google work I was doing. This is backed up by a blurb I saw that indicated
that the folks behind this thing were doing some stuff to their sites to draw unrelated searched to their
site.

D

doublehelix

Getting a virus as a result from a google search (it's happened to me, too) just plain sucks.

-dh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts