NASA’s next manned trip to the Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sftommy

Part of the problem with Constellation was the lack of a compelling reason for returning to the moon. There are now, I believe, two, both of which would be precursors to lunar colonization:

1.) Discovery of ice in craters.
2.) Discovery of potentially inhabitable lava tubes.

Long term (6-months or more) habitats based upon the Bigelow concept (Bigelow says they could do this) could be planted in either/both locations to study how to recover resources and build self-sustaining environments with those resources. The proximity of ice craters to lava tubes might suggest good sites for our first lunar cities.

N

neutrino78x

sftommy":f327n3nz said:
Part of the problem with Constellation was the lack of a compelling reason for returning to the moon.

Yes, I agree. At least, in terms of a compelling reason for NASA astronauts to go there, as opposed to private space hotels, etc.

The proximity of ice craters to lava tubes might suggest good sites for our first lunar cities.

Well, that is still not a compelling reason for sending NASA astronauts. I say that because, since the moon is orbiting the earth, there is a question as to who would own any profits from going there. Plus, other places, such as Mars, have more natural resources, although the water and the lava tubes detract from that objection.

I still say that the Outer Space Treaty needs to be changed so that people can own land on bodies in the solar system and beyond.

--Brian

N

neutrino78x

Plus, as I've said before, I see the Moon as being like Antarctica: to be preserved for science, with some limited tourism. Mars and the moons of the gas giants, in my opinion, would be more for colonization.

--Brian

G

Gravity_Ray

sftommy":jvs3kva9 said:
Part of the problem with Constellation was the lack of a compelling reason for returning to the moon. There are now, I believe, two, both of which would be precursors to lunar colonization:

Long term (6-months or more) habitats based upon the Bigelow concept (Bigelow says they could do this) could be planted in either/both locations to study how to recover resources and build self-sustaining environments with those resources. The proximity of ice craters to lava tubes might suggest good sites for our first lunar cities.

Good reasons both, I even made a thought experiment some place on these boards about what my lunar base would look like. I'm ready already and I am certainly glad that the private industry is talking about a lunar base and not some government. Mr. Big is the man. Now lets see him step up and put something up there. If he does, he will become to me the man of the century.

By the way, the Outer Space Treaty will get worked over by lawyers as soon as somebody lands on something up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts