NASA plus Google = ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rogers_buck

NASA+google = lesagne goo<br /><br />Which is fuel for a pasta anti-pasta anhilation engine.<br /><br />

L

ldyaidan

Interesting. The more they get companies to buy into the plan, the better. I'm looking forward to seeing contracts being made to provide internet services, fast food, whatever to the lunar station... Big business has the money we need to make it all happen. Granted, that's down the road a bit, but I can still daydream...<br /><br /><br />Rae

N

nyarlathotep

My guess is that Google gets mountains of cheap realestate near HQ, and NASA gets ripped off, media bragging rights, and a google search appliance to index their currently useless publication database.<br /><br />They also mentioned ISS/Shuttle tracking using google maps, and adding a Mars and Lunar terrain layer to Google Earth. Considering they already have that terrain data on their clusters, it shouldnt take a couple of engineers more than a weekend to hack together.

S

steve70

So dose this mean NASA LV's and orbiters will begin to look like NASCAR stock cars.

N

nyarlathotep

I doubt it. Knowing google and the methods for building their clusters, if they were in charge of the space program they'd go for the pug-fugly low tech heavy mass production route. They'd probably settle on either OTRAG or a beefed up version of the Aquarius launcher.<br /><br />Actually, judging by SpaceX's systems engineering, I'd put good odds on Sergey Brin and Larry Page actually beating Elon Musk to orbit. I read in a magazine article a year or so ago (just after they listed) that they wanted to set up their own space program. They're worth about $15B a piece now, so we're really talking about pocket change.

B

bpfeifer

"I read in a magazine article a year or so ago"<br /><br />Any idea what magazine? I'd love to read the article.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Brian J. Pfeifer http://sabletower.wordpress.com<br /> The Dogsoldier Codex http://www.lulu.com/sabletower<br /> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.