NASA's 50th Anniversary! Wonder What The NEXT 50 Will Bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

<p>The first week of October is always one fraught with space history, but this one is particularly significant, both by the nature of the anniversaries and the fact that so much space future is playing out as well.</p> <p>Wednesday, October 1, will mark the end of the first half-century of NASA. That it falls on the first of the month is no coincidence &mdash; the legislation authorizing the new agency in 1958 was signed on July 29, but the funding to actually create it wasn&rsquo;t available until the beginning of the next government fiscal year, which always starts at the beginning of October.</p> <p>NASA was formed as a response to an event that had occurred a little less than a year before when, on October 4, 1957, the nation and world were shocked by the Soviet announcement of the first satellite launched into space, Sputnik 1. While the Eisenhower administration wasn&rsquo;t surprised at the event, they were surprised at the public reaction to it and had to hastily and visibly accelerate the nation&rsquo;s own space efforts, which had been occurring for a few years with little fanfare. The fifty-first anniversary of that event occurs this Saturday.</p><p><strong>Full Article</strong> </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

B

BrianSlee

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The first week of October is always one fraught with space history, but this one is particularly significant, both by the nature of the anniversaries and the fact that so much space future is playing out as well. Wednesday, October 1, will mark the end of the first half-century of NASA. That it falls on the first of the month is no coincidence &mdash; the legislation authorizing the new agency in 1958 was signed on July 29, but the funding to actually create it wasn&rsquo;t available until the beginning of the next government fiscal year, which always starts at the beginning of October. NASA was formed as a response to an event that had occurred a little less than a year before when, on October 4, 1957, the nation and world were shocked by the Soviet announcement of the first satellite launched into space, Sputnik 1. While the Eisenhower administration wasn&rsquo;t surprised at the event, they were surprised at the public reaction to it and had to hastily and visibly accelerate the nation&rsquo;s own space efforts, which had been occurring for a few years with little fanfare. The fifty-first anniversary of that event occurs this Saturday.Full Article <br />Posted by yevaud</DIV><br /><br />Happy birthday NASA</p><p>I predict that the major accomplishment for the next half century will&nbsp;be a successful&nbsp;mission to our nearest neighboring star.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>"I am therefore I think" </p><p>"The only thing "I HAVE TO DO!!" is die, in everything else I have freewill" Brian P. Slee</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Happy birthday NASAI predict that the major accomplishment for the next half century will&nbsp;be a successful&nbsp;mission to our nearest neighboring star. <br />Posted by BrianSlee</DIV><br /><br />I think the odds of that in the next 50 years are zero.</p><p>We haven't even started hard planning a mission to the nearest planet yet.</p><p>A mission to the nearest star, even optimistcally will take say 40 years (at 0.1 c), so unless it is already being built, it will not be sucessful in 50 years.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

R

robnissen

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think the odds of that in the next 50 years are zero.We haven't even started hard planning a mission to the nearest planet yet.A mission to the nearest star, even optimistcally will take say 40 years (at 0.1 c), so unless it is already being built, it will not be sucessful in 50 years. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p><font size="3">No, NOT AT ALL.&nbsp; We can wait 50 years and then set the transponder to Alpha-Centauri and be there immediately</font></p><p><font size="3">.</font></p><p><font size="3">.</font></p><p><font size="3">.</font></p><p><font size="3">btw, this is a joke.</font></p>

B

baulten

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Happy birthday NASAI predict that the major accomplishment for the next half century will&nbsp;be a successful&nbsp;mission to our nearest neighboring star. <br /> Posted by BrianSlee</DIV></p><p>Perhaps you meant planet. :p </p>

B

BrianSlee

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think the odds of that in the next 50 years are zero.We haven't even started hard planning a mission to the nearest planet yet.A mission to the nearest star, even optimistcally will take say 40 years (at 0.1 c), so unless it is already being built, it will not be sucessful in 50 years. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Really.&nbsp; Where are the pathfinder pics coming from then? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>"I am therefore I think" </p><p>"The only thing "I HAVE TO DO!!" is die, in everything else I have freewill" Brian P. Slee</p> </div>

B

baulten

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Really.&nbsp; Where are the pathfinder pics coming from then? <br /> Posted by BrianSlee</DIV></p><p>I think he meant a manned mission. </p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think he meant a manned mission. <br />Posted by baulten</DIV><br /><br />Correct, I misinterpreted the post I replied to, sorry.</p><p>I'll up the odds to 10%</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

N

neuvik

<p>Well I hope for another lunar expidition and dare I say a manned Mars expidition.</p><p>Although those are probably very "iffy."&nbsp;&nbsp; I wager more scientific missions of Mars, and perhapse a few on Venus; using landers and rovers.&nbsp;&nbsp; Although I bet they figure the public will lose interest and perhapse they will do something unique.&nbsp;&nbsp; Perhapse a mission to Europa to see if their is liquid underneath the surface ice, or a warm convecting ice mantle.</p><p>A new replacment for the Hubble?&nbsp;&nbsp; *gets ready to dodge flack*</p><p>&nbsp;Whatever they do I'm sure it will be poorly covered by regular media.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thank the heavens for SDC, and ofcourse NASA.gov.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

O

oscar1

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think the odds of that in the next 50 years are zero.We haven't even started hard planning a mission to the nearest planet yet.A mission to the nearest star, even optimistcally will take say 40 years (at 0.1 c), so unless it is already being built, it will not be sucessful in 50 years. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>But a visit to the nearest planet, or the nearest planet that we can in fact physically visit rather, Mars, is certainly possible. However, I don't see a NASA managing this on its own. The only way I reckon&nbsp;we can achieve this within the next fifty years, is when the US, Europe and&nbsp;Asia aim for that in a joint venture. We will be able to bridge the distance relatively easily, but the hardest part will be the bridging of pride and politics (in that order).<br /></p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts