NASA's Space Exploration Vehicle Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James_Bull

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11323362

Just saw these human exploration rovers for the first time today and immediately wondered how the windows on them are so comparitively large in size in relation to windows on the ISS. I thought the cupola space windows the ISS were pretty much as big as they could make them. (I know that the rover is only a mockup)

S

SteveCNC

I'd say your right about the windows should that thing go to the moon , if mars is it's destination maybe with the light atmospheric pressure that size window could be done but not the moon . Although I would think a window could be developed that isn't one piece but many in a grid framework that can handle the pressure from inside and a vacuum on the outside along with potential micro meteor hits for operation on the moon . It is a pretty cool design though .

O

orionrider

These are meant for Mars, filled with an O2-enriched atmosphere at low pressure. The difference with the surface pressure would be reduced so the windows don't have to be very strong.

Atmospheric pressure on Mars is about 1KPa, or 1% of the Earth at sea level. If the rovers were filled with 100% oxygen, the pressure inside could be as low as 16Kpa.

O

orionrider

On Mars you would have a pressure differential of: 16-1 = 15KPa. On the Moon or in space: 16-0 = 16KPa.

Fighter jets like the F-16 have large 'bubble' canopies made from thousands of layers of polymers. They are optically correct but very thick and designed to stop small caliber projectiles as well as heavy birds. They could probably be used in space or on the Moon.

The large rectangular windows on these mock-up vehicles are just fancy plastic affairs. For one thing, they are bolted from the outside, so they could not resist any kind of positive pressure inside the cabins. :?

V

vulture4

The windows would be quite heavy however, many times the cost of cameras. I doubt they will be practical in a real vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts