• We hope all of you have a great holiday season and an incredible New Year. Thanks so much for being part of the Space community!

Need to replace head or collar of tripod for telescope

Aug 22, 2020
Hi everyone,

First of all, I apologize if this question has been answered in another thread, but my lack of vocabulary (not knowing the proper term) makes it difficult for me to know what I should search for. In short: I have inherited an old telescope that works fine, and I want to continue using it. Problem is, its tripod has probably been toppled over, and the quick-release base has been damaged. I would like to buy a replacement part for this tripod; it is just the top part, which may be called a "head", or "collar", or whatever, I just don't know. I have searched all over online stores, and haven't been able to locate what I want.

This link is a shared folder with photos that I took of my tripod, and the problematic part:

My photos are meant to show:
- What the head of the tripod looks like when attached.
- The quick-release base has some notches/teeth that are partly broken. Telescope can still attach, but can fall off easily. Too risky to use.
- The diameter of the collar at the bottom of the head.
- The diameter of the cylinder at the top of the tripod, in inches and in centimeters.

Most "head" parts I can find have a 3/8 inch receptable for a screw protruding from the top of the tripod, so cannot be installed on this tripod. Yet I have found so many tripods whose heads look compatible with my tripod. Am I searching for the wrong thing? Is this part not called a "head" with a "collar" base?

Thanks for any help!

ActWhilst

Aug 22, 2020
I only know both the telescope and tripod are "Galileo", but have no other external markings describing model number or even family/series. Received it from someone who has no information about this equipment.

Aug 29, 2020
U don't say what is broken on the "Quick Release" base> Can a machine shop build U a new one, or repair the part instead of replacing it> Whatever U do be sure to put a lanyard of sum ting on it to prevent damage to your 'scope

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts