New alloys make space cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Valcan

Read somewhere they have found a way to make a aluminum alloy as strong as steel. And are working on a magnesium alloy for Darpa. Sorry i dont have the link available yet i will look and post it. :oops:

So do ya'll think this may help bring down the cost of launches and spacecraft? :geek:

O

orienteer

No, I don't. The typical business model says that certain costs are static, therefore lowering the weight of a launch vehicle will only allow more payload. IOW once you go to this much trouble, make it worth your while.

S

SteveCNC

It will take years for something like that to trickle into aerospace , They are pretty finicky about their material specs grain direction and such . These days 2124 t851 is probably the most common grade of aluminum used in aerospace though sometimes they use 7075 t651 when its a heavy stress component . Getting them to load a whole new material with new stress values and such is a tough sell .

V

Valcan

orienteer":1s7clcsh said:
No, I don't. The typical business model says that certain costs are static, therefore lowering the weight of a launch vehicle will only allow more payload. IOW once you go to this much trouble, make it worth your while.

Um sense cost is calculated by payload weight that mean it Would bring down the cost.

Steve, true but hopefully if they can get the R&D money (hint,hint, congress-senate) then we may be able to get it faster.

W

webtaz99

New ways to study materials all the way down to the subatomic level will surely provide us with better materials in the future. Materials designed from "first principles" rather than stumbled upon by accident.

A reasonably light weight, high strength material that could survive indefinite re-entry events would be a huge advance.

S

SteveCNC

The thing about trying to introduce a new material into the market is it needs to perform it's function in an exceptionally good way to be accepted . The new material you refer to it wouldn't happen to be the new foam aluminum would it ? Haven't heard anything new lately though my boss and his son took off today heading for chicago where there's a trade show going on so I'm sure monday I'll hear all about it :( I would have liked to go but someone has to keep everyone honest . he's talking about getting some crazy machine with an articulating head yada yada so we'll see .

V

vulture4

It's not as strong as steel, but aluminum-lithium alloy is a remarkable material if cost can be brought down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts