New Bottom Dwelling Pop Up Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silylene

The new bottom pop-up scrolling advert bar on SDC is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. (all caps makes the point)

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Weird ads on SDC

I AGREE 1000% (10 times the highest possible percentage makes the point) :)

S

silylene

MeteorWayne":1besmjk3 said:
I AGREE 1000% (10 times the highest possible percentage makes the point) :)

Furthermore, if you accidently click on it while typing in a response, then you lose everything you have typed.

:twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :cry: :| :twisted: :evil: :eek: :eek:

M

MeteorWayne

In addition, I believe it screwed up my ability to perform my moderator functions, and closing the ad did not resolve the problem.

Y'all don't want all the &^%*& spammers out there that we squash every hour free to roam around... :ugeek:

S

SteveCNC

yeah that bottom banner has got to go !!!!!

A

adrenalynn

Yeah, it's about the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen on a forum anywhere. It's Pluck-Grade obnoxious.

I hate to say this as I'm the ResidentCapitalistPigDogBeach, but for the first time _ever_, I'm going to have to install one of the ad killer'ing plug-ins to get rid of it. I'm all for monetizing the forum, but that thing is just unacceptable.

O

orionrider

Not to mention the bandwidth it devours...

B

bdewoody

Another new annoying pop-up ad

Has anyone else noticed the new pop up ad generator at the bottom right of your screen. It's designed so that when you move to scroll down you will probably activate the ad. I really hate those things.

A

adrenalynn

Re: Another new annoying pop-up ad

Yeah, there's discussion about it under "community". After a nap I'm going to see if I can use advanced adblocker to nuke it. Not catching it by default so I need to dig through the page source and try to find it...

A

adrenalynn

Ok - here's a work-around that lets space.com still monetize it but gets rid of the obnoxiousness:

If you use adblock in firefox, you can do a:

Tools -> AdBlockPlus Preferences

Filters -> Add Filter

##div.hd_advert

Apply / OK

That'll hide the advertisement from view while still giving space.com credit for having shown it.

The advertisement is still loaded, it just simply hides the div tag "hd_advert", which is the div it's buried in - and that's the only thing in that specific tag (a call to DartAd, which is apparently a doubleclick product).

If you're really concerned about the bandwidth, a GreaseMonkey script could be implemented to nuke it entirely, but I won't assist with that - you're on your own. As I noted: I'm not anti-advertising (I've left the advertising banner at the top alone because it's not obnoxiously intrusive), I'm just anti-obnoxiousness. I think being able to choose what my browser will display without circumventing space.com's ability to monetize their work in building a community is an equitable tradeoff, where I'd feel bad about killing it entirely (unless I were left with no other choice outside of leaving the forum entirely)

[edit] Note: It seems to miss about 1:70 of these and still display them. I haven't tried adding a duplicate block - I figure I can live with 1:70. ;)

A

a_lost_packet_

I think NoScript is blocking it for me. Every once-in-awhile, I temporarily disable it to give SDC some credit.

T

Technetium

Very annoying.
Noticed this just.
You can click the X on the left hand side of the Ad.
Which is what I did.

But yeah, these should be removed, People these days will do anything to get their ad showing ¬.¬

M

Mee_n_Mac

What's next, ads on the left and right of the content ?!? Pretty soon you won't be able to discern the content from all the advertising ... and Heaven forbid you misclick. Seems that the work PCs screen it out but at home ... ANNOYING ! Why anyone thinks this type of thing puts their product in a good light is beyond me.

A

abq_farside

silylene":3v01t0nm said:
The new bottom pop-up scrolling advert bar on SDC is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. (all caps makes the point)

I agree - EXTREMELY ANNOYING

Z

ZenGalacticore

I've always wondered how it is that people will buy something if they are annoyed enough.

I don't mean individuals here or elsewhere, but obviously, market researchers and ad-men know that "annoying ads" sell. If they didn't, they wouldn't use them. Me personally, the more annoying the ad, the less likely I will buy whatever it is that they're trying to sell.

And if I see one more "slow-motion" commercial on the boob tube trying to evoke an emotion with the "slow motion", I'm going to phaser my tv with full power and disintegrate it. (I really hate those slow-mo ads.) They're incredibly offensive.

Kind of like the Chevron and BP commercials, "human energy, taking care of the planet, " oh blow it out your gaspump Chevron!

O

orionrider

Google Chrome: tools/settings icon => options => Under the Hood => Privacy/ContentSettings => Plugins => add exception: block pattern http://www.space.com

Seems to work for me. SDC won't be credited for this one, but I believe there are enough of annoying ads already.

S

silylene

I have Chrome at home, but the computer here is IE6 and all other browsers are blocked. No way to stop annoying pop ads.

dh, can you get this annoying bottom scroll pop ad removed?

I will also boycott any products which appear on this annoying popup. Ford Motors and Roc4Life just lost a potential customer.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Weird ads on SDC (The bottom dweller)

LOL, I always boycott any advertiser who uses pop ups :)

Anyhoo, I have merged the discussion of this particular type of ad into one discussion. The post count should generate some attention :mrgreen:

B

Boris_Badenov

"New Bottom Dwelling Pop Up Ads" this is an appropriate title for that extremely annoying pop up. If it makes any difference to the advertisers, I don't even know what they're advertising as I'm only concerned with making the annoying thing go away when it shows up.

M

MeteorWayne

I thought the title I came up with was rather witty :) :oops:

The only reason I take note occasionally is to place them on my personal banlist of companies I'll never buy from.

It's on the fridge :)

D

doublehelix

silylene":2s7ftwsh said:
dh, can you get this annoying bottom scroll pop ad removed?

Unfortunately, no. I asked... and was turned down. :cry:

My apologies for the annoyance and frustration.

-dh

A

a_lost_packet_

doublehelix":2fsh8i5r said:
Unfortunately, no. I asked... and was turned down. :cry:

My apologies for the annoyance and frustration.

-dh

Hey, you tried. You did your job and related the community's concerns. There's no fault in that for you.

I do have to say that I don't experience them. But, I will say that having popups on a web forum is... fairly obscene. Advertisements I can understand. That's common. But, they're embedded and usually not too obtrusive. Popups are annoying on a forum because forums are fairly interactive sites. People don't just load up one page and look at it. They constantly load, scroll, use controls, click, highlight, push, pull, twist and mangle their way through forums many times during a session.

With my years on teh intrawebz standing as silent testimony for experience, I'll say this: The only forums I have seen popups implemented were forums that were either dead or dying to begin with. They're a last ditch effort to generate revenue as they're not conducive to actually interacting with the forum. If that's the image that TechMedia wants to portray... /shrug

I hope they make enough money off of them to justify keeping SDC alive. But, it's kind of like hanging a rotting carcass on the doorjamb of a butcher shop in hopes of encouraging new customers...

D

doublehelix

a_lost_packet_":14619d0j said:
I hope they make enough money off of them to justify keeping SDC alive. But, it's kind of like hanging a rotting carcass on the doorjamb of a butcher shop in hopes of encouraging new customers...

Are you saying that you think SDC is only interested in.... ZOMBIES????

;)

In all seriousness, I haven't seen any true popup ads in the forums. There is the newsletter signup that "pops up" sometimes at the bottom of the screen, and then there is a bar ad that shows up from time to time, also at the bottom of the screen, but none of those ones that pop up in a separate window. Is anyone seeing that kind of pop up - like those annoying Netflix ads that pop up on many sites on the web?

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

One of the more annoying aspects is that if you accidently roll across the bottom feeder ad, it starts a countdown until it expands and greys out the rest of the screen in a few seconds. Sometimes I have to click the "close" button 3 times to get the sucker to actually close...

%$%^&*)))&&$%%^##@@!#$%$ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts