New IE ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brandbll

I'm not really complaining about it because i already figured it out, but that IE8 ad is a terrible pop-up. It covers the whole page and doesn't give you a box to click on to close it(you instead just have to figure out on your own to click off to the side). The first time i saw it i did spend a little time though searching for a close box that wasn't there. If i was someone who infrequently visited this site or was a first time browser of SDC i'd be tempted just to click the my way outta here. Just thought i'd let you know my opinion on that...

P.S. Tell the folks that run that ad that it makes me NOT want to run IE8.

M

Mee_n_Mac

brandbll":2uxodfa4 said:
I'm not really complaining about it because i already figured it out, but that IE8 ad is a terrible pop-up. It covers the whole page and doesn't give you a box to click on to close it(you instead just have to figure out on your own to click off to the side). The first time i saw it i did spend a little time though searching for a close box that wasn't there. If i was someone who infrequently visited this site or was a first time browser of SDC i'd be tempted just to click the my way outta here. Just thought i'd let you know my opinion on that...

P.S. Tell the folks that run that ad that it makes me NOT want to run IE8.

Yeah !!! What he said !!! :evil:

A

a_lost_packet_

What ad?

;)

Firefox, noscript, adblockerplus (all free) = no ad

D

doublehelix

I've forwarded this on to the product manager for review. Thanks for letting us know.

-dh

B

brandbll

Just an FYI, when i got to SDC today for the first time and tried to click out of the IE ad, the ad's picture went away but the tint from the ad stuck there and would not disappear and i had to reload the page before i could do anything on the main SDC website(i can't click on any links when the tint was still there).

B

bearack

I have adds turned off in my system, yet I still get this as well. This leads me to believe that it's not a site advertisement, but an MS keylogger type file that identifies what version of IE you are currently using and sends you a request to upgrade.

To circumvent this, all you need to do is click outside (in the greyed out area) the add area. It will disappear.

B

brandbll

doublehelix":1p3s4ysg said:
brandbll, what browser are you using?

Thanks,
-dh

Internet Explorer 7. It's my work computer.

To circumvent this, all you need to do is click outside (in the greyed out area) the add area. It will disappear.

Normally that works, but this time it didn't. I don't know why but the tint stayed and i could not click out of it or click on anything on the main SDC page. I refreshed the page and the thing went away. I'll log out and clear my cookies and try it out again and see if it does the same thing.

B

brandbll

Well i screwed around with it. It seems the ad goes a little screwy if you try to click out it while the picture is still developing. It never completely froze up like it did earlier, but it did cause me to have to click out of the ad 3-4 times on some occasions. From what i saw screwing around with it i'd bet that if i did it a number of times i could easily see an occurence where it froze up.

D

doublehelix

I've forwarded this to the product manager, just FYI.

-dh

M

Mee_n_Mac

FWIW I get the "ad" when I'm at work (IE 6, yes 6 !!!) or at home (IE 8). I don't know which is more pathetic ... that work uses IE6 or I get an ad asking me to use IE8 when I already am.

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah, that gets my goat as well...I'm already using IE8 (though technically on SDC, I have to use the compatibility mode which ratchets it back to IE7)

MW

B

brandbll

Well that stupid ad just froze the SDC frontpage again forcing me to refresh my browser. That's twice in a one month period which means that is occurring for me about once every fifteen times i initially visit SDC.

B

brandbll

Stupid ad froze the main SDC page for me again. This thing might be freezing even more than the 1/15 clip which i previously thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts