Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frank43073

Hello all,

I just joined this Forum because I have become extremely interested in learning more about Space & Astronomy. I want to buy binoculars, but I don't want to spend over $100 because I'm just getting started. Can you recommend anything? I heard Bushnell makes some good ones. Thanks in advance!

Frank :D

D

drwayne

I would suggest that this post might more productively go in the "Ask The Astronomer" section.
I will move it, while I think, leaving a "shadow" in its original location...

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Wayne

F

Frank43073

Thank you, I'm glad to be here. Sorry for posting in the wrong category.

Frank

D

drwayne

I'm just glad I got it moved without a FAT-finger error leading to global thermo-nuclear war.

:roll: at me

Wayne

S

schmack

Hi Frank,

Welcome to SDC.

I just recently purchased a pair of Bushnell 16x50 binoculars. They're GREAT! And they only cost me around $160 dollars, thats Australian so the cost will vary in your country. They are a sturdy and light pair of binoculars which i would recomend to anyone. You might want to consider a tripod or using a pillow resting on a table or rock/branch/ something stable and handy and lean on that while you're viewing. I find that if i just stand there with the binoculars held to my eyes and look at stars or the moon while unsupported that the image jumps around a lot. Especially if the object is a long way away.

A

adrenalynn

Personally - I'd go down in magnification from that. 16x50 is practically impossible to hand-hold, and doesn't show enough of the sky. 8x50 or 10x50 would be great for observing the night sky.

If you can squeeze it from the budget, I'd strongly suggest you look at: http://www.telescope.com/control/produc ... t_id=09463

Remember though that you'll want a tripod too. If you can't squeeze all that into the budget, then have a look at:

http://www.telescope.com/control/produc ... t_id=09332

And get a reasonbly priced tripod.

S

schmack

Hi adrenalynn,

Thanks for those links... now you have me considering buying a new telescope. tsk, tsk... i really shouldn't.

And you're right about the 16x50 binoculars being difficult to use. But i have a good tripod and i find viewing through those binoculars, especially in-system viewing, is better than my 70mm refractor. It's heaps easier to find an object through them and they magnify almost as well as my telescope does anyway. And... my neck and knees don't get anywhere near as sore afterwards.

C

crazyeddie

Frank43073":16lv0kmq said:
Hello all,

I just joined this Forum because I have become extremely interested in learning more about Space & Astronomy. I want to buy binoculars, but I don't want to spend over $100 because I'm just getting started. Can you recommend anything? I heard Bushnell makes some good ones. Thanks in advance!

Frank :D

Orion Telescopes & Binoculars sells a 7x50mm Scenix model for $99.95, with free shipping, so that just meets your budget requirements, and I think it's a good value for the money. This is the largest binocular that you can reasonably hand-hold for long periods of time. I wouldn't go with anything smaller, although if you want to use your binoculars for anything other than astronomy, an 8x42 model might be worth considering.....but these tend to be more expensive. Here's Orion's website for the Scenix:

http://www.telescope.com/control/produc ... t_id=09332

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts