New mount for my telescope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

falcondhq

Hi all!<br /><br />I'm a newcomer to this forum, but I've been looking around and it seems like the members here are really knowledgeable!<br /><br />So, here is my question- I have an 8 inch Discovery telescopes dobsonian, with a tube measuring 58 inches long. I've been very pleased with it over the last few years and wish to try my hand at some astrophotography.<br /><br />I have taken some decent pictures of the moon, but realize that if I ever want to make pictures of anything fainter I will need some sort of equatorial mount.<br /><br />I've looked around and seen some equatorial platforms, although most seem pricey. So, is there any way to get a fairly good mount for under $500? It doesn't have to be spectacular, it just has to get the job done. I also don't mind doing some assembly work, or buying used to keep the cost down.<br /><br />Thanks in advance!<br />Justin Stottlemyer

T

Testing

Do yourself a search. Mel Bartels. Happy reading. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

adrenalynn

Welcome to SDC!<br /><br />Yeah, for that size scope, in that price range, you're definitely going to have to build your own from the ground-up.<br /><br />Purchasing pre-made, your starting pricepoint for photography is really going to be something closer to $1500 for the mount.<br /><br /><br />This is the site Testing was referring to:<br /><br />http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/BBAstroDesigns.html#Computer_Operated_Telescopes<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

S

sssalvi

Hello Falcon,<br />The length of the telescope is 58 inches which is quite a big one to handle for an amatuer self assembler ( I mean a lot of pitfalls are there which may call for several iterations in design even after fabrication and so ultimately it may turn out to be a costly venture ).<br /><br />Some of the most obvious problems that one has to overcome are :<br /> - Balancing the telescope so that the drive motor is evenly loaded throughout its travel path <br /> - There should not be any virations when it is moving so proper motor and gear box design is important.<br /> - Drive software ... and so on.<br /><br />Other posters have given you a cost estimate.<br /><br />Happy Heavens watching.<br /><br />=====<br />S^3

F

falcondhq

Thanks for the quick and informative replies everyone!<br /><br />I'm going to look into building one, but amid concerns of how well that will turn out, I was wondering what your opinions were on the best commercially available mounts?<br /><br />Are equatorial platforms a good choice? How do they stack up to normal equatorial mounts? The thing I really like about the idea of a platform is that you just have to set the dobsonian on top of it.<br /><br />Thanks again!

S

sssalvi

Very Good. Keep it up. It is not an impossible task but if you've already done some hobby building work earlier then it is worth giving a try. Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts