New use for shuttle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

puett16

I am new here and just wanted to say hey first of all. Second, I was doing some reading on the VASIMR engine and it sounds promising. My idea is when the shuttle is retired in a couple of years, why not install a VASIMR engine on the shuttle and see how it performs? I don't know if you would dedicate a mission to installing the engine in orbit or what. I didn't think about the logistics but it does seem like a cool idea. What do you guys think?

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I am new here and just wanted to say hey first of all. Second, I was doing some reading on the VASIMR engine and it sounds promising. My idea is when the shuttle is retired in a couple of years, why not install a VASIMR engine on the shuttle and see how it performs? I don't know if you would dedicate a mission to installing the engine in orbit or what. I didn't think about the logistics but it does seem like a cool idea. What do you guys think? <br />Posted by puett16</DIV></p><p>It would be far better to use aa dedicated craft for VASMIR testing, rather than try and convert the shuttle in space. That's just not realistic, no matter how cool it might be.</p><p>&nbsp;Besides, there are no shuttle missions left that are not already dedicated to either the Hubble repair or ISS construction and supply. There's only 2 1/2 years left in the shuttle program.</p><p>Welcome to Space.com!!</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Q

qso1

A VASIMR test engine would be better suited on an unmanned deep space probe, even say a probe to Mars. This way, the engine would be man rated so to speak for possible follow on VASIMR propelled human missions. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.