next 50 years in space pt. 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

quantump7

I posted a few months ago tell you all about a survey by Space Generation Council for people to help plan the next 50 years in Space.<br /><br />Well, I wanted to tell you all that part two of the survey is now up, and expands on the most popular ideas of the last survey. The results of this survey will be presented at a symposium at Boston University called "The Future of Space Exploration: Solutions to Earthly Problems"? Many VIP will be there including astronauts, government officials and professors.<br /><br />So please let your voice be heard, and help us to help plan the next 50 years in space! :)<br /><br />Survey: <br />http://www.spacegeneration.org/survey/survey.php?id=KW5VDX84<br /><br />Symposium website: http://www.bu.edu/pardee/events/conferences/2007/SPACE/MASTER/index.html<br /><br /><br />Thanks in advance! And, this survey round ends on 3 April 2007.

M

MeteorWayne

You already said you don't want my perspective, I'm too old. <br /><br />And you never responded to questions as to why that was. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

chyten

Very first two questions turned me off the survey<br /><br /><b>2.1. Should the average person have access to space tourism?</b><br /><br />What does "have access" mean here? Not be barred from it by law? Already there, AFAIK. Be able to buy a ticket on "average" salary? Sure, "should", but won't happen for a long, long time. It's as nebulous as asking "Should average person have his own helicopter?"<br /><br /><b>2.2. What should be done to give the average person access to space tourism?<br /><br /> Lower the ticket price to make it affordable<br /> Enhance chances of participation via ballot, prize draws, lottery initiatives<br /> Increase the frequency of space tourism opportunities<br /> Make it more entertaining</b><br /><br />This one is even worse because it does not specify DONE BY WHOM. By space tourism companies? In that case, second choice is happening already, and other three are constrained by technology and economics. When space tourism companies CAN do these things, they WILL do them, no survey necessary. By government? Only if you are a fan of subsidies.<br /><br />Sorry, but this is fluff.

V

vandivx

<font color="yellow">When space tourism companies CAN do these things, they WILL do them, no survey necessary. By government? Only if you are a fan of subsidies. </font><br /><br />well said, the survey is excercise in collectivist's dreams/planning<br /><br />'what should be done' really is to get out of the way of those who can do things, all those government agencies shouldn't meddle with industry same as they shouldn't meddle with economy as such, that's the laissez faire principle that America has completely forgoten and if it werent heeeding it to some extent in the past, it would be today no better than Europe is today and probably much worse<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

quantump7

Well, it's because the symposium will basically be a discussion (with space VIP attending) as to what should happen within the next 50 years, and how it should happen. We decided not to get too technical (as in exact propulsion technologies, etc) because the average person does not know about those things.<br /><br />The space tourism questions ask what should be done by the space tourism companies. And if you had read the survey further, you would see that it asks your opinion about what the governments should do as far as the private space industry is concerned. If you don't think the government should meddle as far as private space companies are concerned, you should say so. <br /><br />Also, if you check the actual symposium's website (which I posted in the original post of this thread), you'll see that the planning that will go on there is far from "fluff."

C

chyten

<b>And if you had read the survey further, you would see that it asks your opinion about what the governments should do as far as the private space industry is concerned</b><br /><br />I did read it. The questions should have been in reverse order. The way you presented the questions is extremely ambiguous. I had worked in PR field for a few years, and can assure you that any market analyst who came up with THAT would be out on his ear.<br /><br /><b>Also, if you check the actual symposium's website (which I posted in the original post of this thread), you'll see that the planning that will go on there is far from "fluff." </b><br /><br />Which makes it even more inexcusable. An amateur writing an inconsequential survey for his own amusement (which is what it looks like) is one thing. People in the relevant industry writing a survey on which they (presumably) expect to base business decisions is something quite different. <br /><br />Hire a PR person.

Q

quantump7

Hi. I understand your concerns.<br /><br />The thing is, a group of us volunteers are have been working on this survey. None of us are in the PR field. In fact, we are all under 30. But we are doing our best.

J

JonClarke

Don't worry. Some people here like to complain without having done anything themselves. I think it is great you are doing something. if you do something you have achieved more than 99% of those who complain<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Q

quantump7

Thank you so much, Jon. I highly appreciate that.<br /><br />I would like to add, that the Round 1 survey was highly open. You could input any event(s) that you thought should happen within the next 50 years. Anything at all.<br /><br />The vast majority of the responses we got were responses like "build a moon base" "send humanity to Mars" "create international cooperation" etc. We decided to take the most popular responses for Round Two, and make them a bit more specific. If they are not specific enough for you or if they are too specific, there are comment boxes that we encourage you to use to input your thoughts on these matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts