Next Shuttle Mission bothers Russian Cosmonaut

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

planet_z

AP-Space Station<br /><br />Space station's next skipper concerned over plans to use it as<br />emergency shelter<br /><br /> KENNEDY SPACE STATION (AP) - One of the world's most experienced<br />space travelers is concerned about NASA's plan to use the<br />international space station as an emergency shelter for damaged<br />space shuttles.<br /> Russian cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev will take command of the space<br />station this spring.<br /> If shuttle Discovery was damaged the way Columbia was two years<br />ago, it would have to remain at the space station until Atlantis<br />could be sent to the rescue.<br /> That would mean a population of nine at the orbiting outpost for<br />a month or more: seven shuttle astronauts, plus Krikalev and<br />astronaut John Phillips. Krikalev says having nine aboard past a<br />month is questionable. He'd like Discovery to carry only four on<br />the first post-Columbia trip.<br /> NASA says the work that needs to be done requires seven.<br /> <br />On the Net:<br />NASA: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov<br /> <br /> (Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)<br /> <br />AP-NY-02-03-05 2024EST

S

shuttle_rtf

But isn't it true that should that be the case, the plans are in place to launch Atlantis on what would then be STS-300 within a 33-day time period.

D

davp99

This guy kinds of pizzes me off, not only has he used our SST a couple of times, and Spent time on Orbit more than most of our guys and my Tax $$ were Used for his Enjoyment,,,but now he's " concerned" of what his Own Safety ?? If he doesn't like it, I'd Change Places with him in a Heartbeat.. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="4">Dave..</font> </div>

V

viper101

I suspect the chance of Discovery being stranded in orbit is very remote to begin with. <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

C

CalliArcale

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Sergi is an astronauts astronaut, he is the equvalent to our Musgrave. he deserves to fly as often as possible.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Hear, hear! Krikalev is awesome. He's also an engineer, and not a mere jock. He has a serious amount of expertise.<br /><br />This statement doesn't sound much like him. I'm wondering if he's been misquoted or misunderstood. He does speak good English, but naturally with an accent, and of course there's the typically blunt Russian way of speaking that could have caused a reporter to misconstrue the statement. He always seemed to be a can-do sort of person to me. He may have only been acknowledging that it would be a hardship for the ISS crew (which is certainly true), not that it would be impossible or that he would personally obstruct such a thing in his capacity as ISS commander. It would certainly increase the risk for ISS operations, from many perspectives. That may have been all he was saying. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.