nibiru

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Correction, nibiru IS a hoax. This thread will be merged with one of the many others about this subject.

C

CalliArcale

nimbus":18ui79ji said:
Welcome to the forum.
Nibiru is most likely a hoax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibiru_collision

Yep. Lots of people have pushed various "Planet X" theories. THe Nibiru one started out in a series of novels by Zecharia Sitchin. Some folks took them seriously, and fear of the dreaded planet X came up. Interestingly, while Sitchin did believe the object really existed (based on some fairly liberal readings of Sumerian myths plus a nice big dose of imagination), he didn't think it was due to encounter us. That particular embellishment comes from Nancy Lieder, founder of ZetaTalk and grade-a kook. She's been claiming Nibiru was due to impact Earth for years, usually within the next year. As you might imagine, this means she's had to keep saying "whoops, I miscalculated, it's actually next year." I find it hard to believe she really believes Nibiru's about to hit us; I think she's just in it for the adulation of her fans.

I remember her group used to post images of what they said was Nibiru. One in particular stands out in my memory, because it was really a picture of Io against Jupiter taken by the Galileo spacecraft. If their claims were true, Nibiru would be visible to the naked eye by now, and it's not. It's all just a big hoax.

Now, as to whether or not Sitchin's version was correct, that's a bit more difficult to test. There are other theories (rooted in astronomy and physics rather than anthropology) which suggest that there could be a large object out in or beyond the Oort cloud which periodically shunts comets towards us. However, there's no evidence that it's true. It could turn out to be true; all we know for sure is that there's no reason at present to think it's out there. The outer solar system is a popular area for asteroid-hunters to go looking. Consequentely, if Nibiru exists, it must be either very small (too small to have the effects claimed) or very dark to have escaped detection for as long as it has.

M

MeteorWayne

I'd suggest you read this thread maltaeseflyer. (Just click on the link below)

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12996&hilit=Nibiru

It's a long discussion of the subject.

I'm going to close this thread; if you have any comments post them in the thread I referred you to.

Thanx, and welcome to Space.com.

Meteor Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.