node 3 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holmec

Node 3 is going to have a "cupola" window.<br /><br />Now in NASA's interactive thingy on ISS it mentioned that the cupola is to be a "flight deck".<br /><br />In planes flight deck is akin to the bridge on ships.<br /><br />As far as I am aware right now, the station they control the ISS can be from almost anywhere since it can be done via laptop (correct me if I'm wrong). So how is the cupola going to incorporate the functions of a flight deck?<br /><br />Also the cupola is supposed to have controls for the robotic arm. So how is that going to work? <br /><br />A side question:<br /><br />As I understand it, Zvesda had the first flight contols of the ISS. Does it presently function as flight controls? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

L

lampblack

IIRC that the cupola is scheduled as the last item to be installed in the assembly sequence. Seems strange that it would serve as a "flight deck," as countless flights will have come and gone prior to its installation.<br /><br />Everything I've read about the cupola suggests that it is as much (at any rate, <i>almost</i> as much) about aesthetics as functionality. Which is to be expected, one supposes, given that it is an Italian contribution.<br /><br />Once it's installed, the station will have a place with broad windows -- with the best possible view. So, there are reasons relating to crew psychology for having the cupola installed. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

T

thereiwas

The cupola has data connections available so the robot arms can be controlled form there. But no permanent facilities for that - they move the laptops there from their usual location. <br /><br />Now they are helped by an observer in the docked orbiter with binoculars, looking up through the roof windows. After the shuttle is no more they will not have such a vantage point, so perhaps the cupola will serve that purpose. This is for grappling and otherwise managing the post-Orbiter resupply and crew transfer vehicles.

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>After the shuttle is no more they will not have such a vantage point, so perhaps the cupola will serve that purpose.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />But astronauts will be able to see mostly in only one direction (port?). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

T

thereiwas

According to NASA's 360-degree tour Flash page, it goes on the forward port of node 3, which itself extends down from the nadir port of Unity. So it should have a good view in all directions but up and aft. Hope they leave the shutters closed most of the time.

E

erioladastra

"Now they are helped by an observer in the docked orbiter with binoculars, looking up through the roof windows. "<br /><br />Not really. They mainly use TV cameras. Direct viewing only helps in a few limited cases.

H

holmec

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Everything I've read about the cupola suggests that it is as much (at any rate, almost as much) about aesthetics as functionality. Which is to be expected, one supposes, given that it is an Italian contribution. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Well then maybe that is what NASA meant. An asthetic "flight deck". <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

T

thereiwas

They used the binocs from the orbiter on the recent solar panel repair - that is what I was thinking of. Then what is the cupola for? Seems like a safety risk to me in that debris-filled orbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts