Northrop Grumman snags $187 million to design NASA's lunar Gateway habitat for astronauts

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
NASA talks about going to Mars and the need for Gateway to achieve that goal. At one time NASA was talking about a deep space transport to depart from the gateway. They have gone very quiet. Has anyone actually seen a recent NASA plan for going to Mars? My thoughts are that they do not actually have a long term plan which means the Mars part of Artemis is just waffle.

MarcUK001

Themarcjohnstone
May 31, 2020
marcjohnstone.com
I think its good news that NASA is going ahead with the Gateway station. Having a small space station in orbit increases the program flexibility as any lunar landers can be based there. Thou, i can see them have two landers docked to the gateway. This station could become a very large structure.

MarcUK001

Themarcjohnstone
May 31, 2020
marcjohnstone.com
NASA talks about going to Mars and the need for Gateway to achieve that goal. At one time NASA was talking about a deep space transport to depart from the gateway. They have gone very quiet. Has anyone actually seen a recent NASA plan for going to Mars? My thoughts are that they do not actually have a long term plan which means the Mars part of Artemis is just waffle.

Hi, the last thing i saw about NASA going back to Mars was this news article.

I don't think chemical propulsion isn't practical. Scaled up Ion drives sounds a good move and i`m following that technology. In my eyes, Artemis and Mars are two different programs. But is launching a mission from lunar orbit to Mars actually practical. Its makes sense to build a ship in earth orbit and launch it from earth orbit.

Artemis is laying the foundation for commercial moon mining. Fusion power is coming, it needs helium-3 as a fuel. Its been estimated that there are around 1,100,000 metric tonnes of helium-3 on the surface of the Moon down to a depth of a few meters. Basing the lunar landers in orbit, allows them to cover the whole moon surface. H3 could also fuel any deep space missions.

Jun 7, 2020
Visit site
Are you familiar with Project Eagle. If you did you will know that work was already done on a conceptual planned Martian habitat in the Gale crater on Mars. With the amount of money NASA gets each year you can be sure Congress will be very demanding.

MarcUK001

Themarcjohnstone
May 31, 2020
marcjohnstone.com
Are you familiar with Project Eagle. If you did you will know that work was already done on a conceptual planned Martian habitat in the Gale crater on Mars. With the amount of money NASA gets each year you can be sure Congress will be very demanding.

Yes, im familiar with Project Eagle. Its an interesting idea, Blackbird Interactive were contacted by JPL. The final habitation modules for the first base will be built on the earth.. what after happen afterwards is another thing. Thou there is also talk of Nasa building a base in some of those caves the MRO discovered.

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
The amount of funding NASA gets is equivalent to a moth fart in a hurricane when compared to the overall budget but you are right Congress is always demanding of NASA.

Latest posts