On maglev launches, vibration issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

augustrock

<p>I'd like to ask if it is it true that you can save 25-30% of the required fuel if you use a mag-lev system to launch a spacecraft below mach 1.&nbsp; That's a number I saw somewhere in the net... </p><p>There's also the issue of vibration above 600 km/h, which some papers say that diamond-shaped flux magnets solve, as well as Inductrack, but they don't say what the new limit is... Any ideas, and has anyone heard any late news regarding maglev? </p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'd like to ask if it is it true that you can save 25-30% of the required fuel if you use a mag-lev system to launch a spacecraft below mach 1.&nbsp; That's a number I saw somewhere in the net... There's also the issue of vibration above 600 km/h, which some papers say that diamond-shaped flux magnets solve, as well as Inductrack, but they don't say what the new limit is... Any ideas, and has anyone heard any late news regarding maglev? <br />Posted by augustrock</DIV></p><p>Welcome to Space.com!<br /><br />I'm not sure this belongs in Missions and Launches, but for the time being I'll leave it here. Probably would be better off in Space Business and Technology. Although, I fear this will wind up in "The Unexplained" based on the "diamond shaped flux magnets", "somewhere on the net", etc</p><p>What is Inductrack?</p><p>To address your point, launching a spacecraft below Mach one accomplishes nothing. To get into orbit, you need to be traveling ~ 17,500 mph. Mach 1 is ~ 700 mph. We have planes that travel above Mach 1, and they aren't even close to traveling fast enough to get to orbit.</p><p>If you travel at 17,500 mph in the atmosphere, you will burn up very quickly. Those speed can only be sustained when you are above the atmosphere; say 100 miles high. How does a < Mach 1 craft get to 100 miles high without burning up as it accelerates?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

augustrock

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Welcome to Space.com!I'm not sure this belongs in Missions and Launches, but for the time being I'll leave it here. Probably would be better off in Space Business and Technology. Although, I fear this will wind up in "The Unexplained" based on the "diamond shaped flux magnets", "somewhere on the net", etcWhat is Inductrack?To address your point, launching a spacecraft below Mach one accomplishes nothing. To get into orbit, you need to be traveling ~ 17,500 mph. Mach 1 is ~ 700 mph. We have planes that travel above Mach 1, and they aren't even close to traveling fast enough to get to orbit.If you travel at 17,500 mph in the atmosphere, you will burn up very quickly. Those speed can only be sustained when you are above the atmosphere; say 100 miles high. How does a < Mach 1 craft get to 100 miles high without burning up as it accelerates? <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Hi, MeteorWayne</p><p>I meant that a maglev launcher could be considered as a first stage for heavy spacecrat, the same as releasing a spacecraft from an airplane at or near 200-500 kts (like SpaceShip One and others).&nbsp; NASA and several institutions are studying this. I made a mistake translating a term; it is "Direct Diamagnetic Levitation"(thx for calling my attention to this).&nbsp; Inductrack is a system that improves maglev stability by a different arrangement of the magnets.&nbsp; </p>

Status
Not open for further replies.