Opening Free Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doublehelix

Hi everyone, just letting you know that we are going to open up Free Space (for viewing) to anyone who visits the site; currently, one needs to be registered to both see and participate. It will be for a week minimum, possibly for a month, then we will reassess. Open Forum was open to the public for viewing, during the old Pluck days, if you remember.

I am NOT going to open up Politics, though. This will still be for Members Only (minus the jackets, of course ;) )

This will happen tomorrow - Friday the 30th.

-dh

Z

ZenGalacticore

They may think they've come to Disneyland. No wait! That's in "The Unexplained"! :)

S

Smersh

Thanks for informing us DH.

For what it's worth though, I just like to say I'm against the idea of opening Free Space - in fact there was a discussion going on about it over on the pre-Pluck Uplink board, just before you arrived as Community Manager, so I don't know if you ever saw that thread. (In Uplink, Free Space was only viewable by members, as it is atm.)

The reason I'm against it, as I said in that old thread and quite a few other members also said, that Space.com is primarily a science site and we would like new members to be science orientated, not attracted here because they want to post about general topics. Let the new members join because of the science and find out about Free Space afterwards!

Another advantage of Free Space is it is not indexed by the search engines (because it's effectively a private forum.) Some people might have posted personal stuff in there that they would prefer the search engines didn't find.

B

Boris_Badenov

How's it working? Also, I agree with Smersh. I didn't even know Free Space was there for about 6 weeks after I signed up. Of course I was totally corrupted by it after I spotted it :cry:

R

R1

doublehelix":zez4s95d said:
I am NOT going to open up Politics, though. This will still be for Members Only (minus the jackets, of course ;) )

-dh

What does it mean minus the jackets?
Adrenalynn said something about a dinner jacket... like the pirates or something.

:?

D

doublehelix

R1":3427fx09 said:
doublehelix":3427fx09 said:

-dh

What does it mean minus the jackets?

Members Only jackets! Remember them from the 80s? ;)

-dh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts