Optical Telescope in eclipse of sun

Jan 24, 2020
Visit site
I have been contemplating this idea for a couple weeks now. An optical telescope with an elliptical orbit around the earth that is mostly in eclipse of the sun, either behind the earth or the moon. It would have to be nuclear powered and would not pollute the night sky on earth with solar radiation. I don't know if there would be a proper orbit with small levels of decay, but with nuclear power and propellant, it could be kind of a space ship. The advantages would be viewing of parts of the sky that are normally obscured by the sun. This elliptical orbit would stretch out further from the sun that the orbit of the moon, but would pass between the moon and earth when it is closest to the sun, so that it doesn't have to shut down, because it hides behind the moon.

I have a question about space debris beyond the orbit of the moon. I am assuming that the moon and earth have kind of plowed smooth ruts through space in their orbits. Is there space debris between here and mars that would damage a mirror?

Jan 24, 2020
Visit site
It would be sweet to launch it towards the moon and sling shot it around the moon and thrust it into the elliptical orbit.

With a telescope in an elliptical orbit around the earth, there would potentially be two opportunities per month for viewing the gravitational lensing of the sun. When the telescope is at an appropriate distance from the moon. The orbit would have to be intentionally created for that effect.

High resolution images of gravitational lensing and the dark side of the moon. Two times per month.

Last edited:

Latest posts