other solar systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anigma46

As quite a few of the newly discovered planets outside our solar system consist of giant gas planets near the star revoving rapidly,could it be that our planet Mercury was once such a planet? Being so near the sun the atmosphere would be evaporated over time or blown away by the solar wind. I f infact the solar wind blew the gas away along the ecliptic it could have been absorbed by the small rocky planets like earth ,venus and mars over millions of years. Venus being first in line would have a greater amount of atmosphere and so on till the asteroid belt. Is this plausible?

A

anigma46

Could Mercury been closer to the sun when it formed? Could the solar wind have been more energetic in the that time frame. If Mercury was 99% gas at its formation the huge atmosphere would act like a solar sail, pushing Mercury to its present location,where it developed its solid core. Mercury being a very solid object now,looks like the remnants of a gas giant.

N

najab

><i>Mercury being a very solid object now,looks like the remnants of a gas giant.</i><p>How can you say that when we don't know what the inside of a gas giant looks like?</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts