Parallel Universes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gypstar

Initially the idea to me sounded stupid. But I recently read up on it from scientists (metaphysicsts) who have given it some thought, and some of it actually sounds desent, though entirely hypothetical. I watched this clip on how the universe is divided into pieces like how a loaf of bread is cut? Different dimensions and such? Like there is something inside spacetime that duplicates over the layers?

What is the best explanation for parallel universes? Is there any more "substantial" proof on such a thing?

C

csmyth3025

gypstar":2c58rtu0 said:
Initially the idea to me sounded stupid. But I recently read up on it from scientists (metaphysicsts) who have given it some thought, and some of it actually sounds desent, though entirely hypothetical. I watched this clip on how the universe is divided into pieces like how a loaf of bread is cut? Different dimensions and such? Like there is something inside spacetime that duplicates over the layers?

What is the best explanation for parallel universes? Is there any more "substantial" proof on such a thing?

For a layman's overview of the "many worlds" interpretation in quantum mechanics you might try the Wikipedia article on the subject, which can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

In terms of proof, as far as I know the only universe we can prove exists (to most people's satisfaction) is the one in which we live.

Chris

W

weeman

There is no proof, as it is only hypothetical for the time being.

The best way to describe a parallel universe is that it exists parallel (hence the name) to ours, and consists of different outcomes. The most commonly accepted theory is that each time a decision is made in our universe, it gives birth to a parallel universe.

Another area of theoretical physics where parallel universes are used is time travel. The reason for this is that it solves the Grandfather Paradox. However, time travelling into parallel worlds would become extremely dangerous, considering it would likely be possible that you would never make it back to the original universe from which you left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts